tribute to my Canadian Airforce DAD

-

LJ67barracuda340

Reaction score
My Dad was an Canadian Air Force Pilot and Flight Instructor. He flew with the 424 Squadron out of Hamilton Ontario Canada. He's still with us at 94. He flew many different planes, P51, T33, and lots of others and trained pilots on the Harvard. I've been restoring my 67 Barracuda for 9 winters and finally hit the roads this year. Recently the Hamilton War Plane Heritage Museum had a car show at the YMC John C. Monro Hamilton International Airport. At a cruise night before the show when I was handed a flyer for the event I requested (since they don't own a P51 Mustang, his favorite I think) that they bring out a Harvard for the picture shoots. When I arrived at the show there was the Harvard sitting on the deck waiting for me. I got to park beside one of his aircraft for a shoot. Made my day!!!
Larry

Harvard.jpg

Stearman.jpg

Cool. I love the old Steamans and I guess the other is an AT-6, I forget what you Canadians call them

My Dad was an Canadian Air Force Pilot and Flight Instructor. He flew with the 424 Squadron out of Hamilton Ontario Canada. He's still with us at 94. He flew many different planes, P51, T33, and lots of others and trained pilots on the Harvard. I've been restoring my 67 Barracuda for 9 winters and finally hit the roads this year. Recently the Hamilton War Plane Heritage Museum had a car show at the YMC John C. Monro Hamilton International Airport. At a cruise night before the show when I was handed a flyer for the event I requested (since they don't own a P51 Mustang, his favorite I think) that they bring out a Harvard for the picture shoots. When I arrived at the show there was the Harvard sitting on the deck waiting for me. I got to park beside one of his aircraft for a shoot. Made my day!!!
Larry

View attachment 1715079243

View attachment 1715079244
Beautiful pic , love the Lancaster in the back ground ! Awesome job on the barracuda !

Last edited:
Terrific job on your Barracuda Larry, looks great and your a lucky guy you still get to spend time with your dad, please thank him for his service for me.

Dan

airplanes and Mopars-doesn't get much better Yep that Lancaster is sweet! The Harvard and Steerman are nice too! I guess you guys have a pretty nice Hurricane flying around somewhere too! My Dad was a USAF mechanic -worked on RF101 Voodoos-he shared his love of things that fly both in the air and on the dragstrip with me-God rest his soul. You Canadians are some pretty cool people in my book,always been great Allies and neighbors-tell your Dad thanks for keeping the skies to the north of us safe!

Great job Larry. Those pics are stunning to say the least.
My gramma just turned 95.
Thank your Dad for his service.

I love the mixture of beautiful cars and awesome airplanes...they just shout "Look at me, I'm gorgeous!"
Norm Faith
Master Sergeant USAF Retired

Very nice tribute. Great picture of two beautiful pieces of iron!! I know your dad loved seeing them both together. Thank him for his service.

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force (Retired)

Glad to hear your Dad is still around and thank him for his service! That's pretty cool you were able to drive on the apron to have some pictures taken with the old warbirds. Nice car too.

That's awesome, LJ67! And that museum is awesome. My cousin had her wedding reception there. Check this pic of the head table with the mighty Lancaster bomber behind the wedding party.
Hamilton 2-20121006-00010.jpg

Awesome pic and story!
My dad was a WW2 vet too, but he was in the Army.
He passed away in 1979, so you're lucky to have your father around still..........
Thank him from me for his service!

Was he ever stationed in Alaska during WWII?

Alaska had some dual US / Canada duty stations, the closest WWII era airfield to my home town was one of them - Annette Island Air Field.

Nice pic Larry. That is right around the corner from me, but I didn't know about it until after I passed a bunch of cars on my way back to town and asked someone where the show was.

-
Back