Trying to identify. A transmission

-

Tonymichael77

Reaction score
I bought a used slant six 225 and transmission, I'm trying to replace the rear seal on the transmission but I'm not sure the year and make on the transmission . The only number I can find on it is. Pk3681841 4639 9219 the auto part store says that doesn't help and wants a VIN but that is the only number I can find anywhere on it .

numbers-jpg.jpg

Yeah from what I'm finding the pH number is the VIN but it's not lining up right with any of the the VIN pages I'm finding

I bought a used slant six 225 and transmission, I'm trying to replace the rear seal on the transmission but I'm not sure the year and make on the transmission . The only number I can find on it is. Pk3681841 4639 9219 the auto part store says that doesn't help and wants a VIN but that is the only number I can find anywhere on it .

The part # 3681841 identifies it as a 1974..... 198/225......904..........standard(w/aluminum carrier) tranny. "Standard" just IDs it as not export, police, taxi, truck or high performance.

the parts guys are just jerking you around. look at the pan, I believe a 904 is a simple rectangular shape. the 727 is only somewhat rectangular and it has a bulge on the left front of the pan. If you Google transfer pan shapes, you'll see what I mean. Im no transmission guy, but I can't believe there is much difference in rear seal, once you've identified whether it's a 727 or 904, as long as the trans is a slip yoke.

Last edited:
The "PK" number is not a VIN number. It is the transmission part number and 340demon72 is correct that it's a 1974 904. They did have 2 different real seals used on a 904. The split is 1972/73 I think so yours should be the later seal being it's a 74 model year

The partial VIN is on the passenger side of the bell housing. Look for a flat pad about 3 inches long.

-
Back