Turbo slant 6?

-

Mghampton

Reaction score
I've been doing research and it seems this engine can be amazingly fast with. Turbo set up. I've got some diesel tech buddies who deal with turbos alot that talked me into looking into it when I bought the dart project. My current slant 6 is well... she needs rebuilt or replaced. Assuming I replaced it with a mabbco reman motor I can pick my cam... also have them install wiseco forged steel pistons and have the head ported and polished a little bit and have a nice long block sent to me. Then after install in car I could use a 4 barrel manifold to mount the FI tech power adder system fuel injection system and then begin to work on mounting the turbo. I've seen guys on Google weld a t3 or t4 flange to the factory manifold.... Idk how well a manifold is gonna flow exhaust though versus a custom built header. And intercooler locations seem to be sparse as far as ideal locations in a 1973 dodge dart sport. But .... what else do I need to consider on a slant 6 to make it able to hold up to having a turbo charger on there. From what I have hear pre 1976 have forged rods and crank with 440 big block bearings so it can take a beating and withaftermsrket forged steel pistons I should not burn them out. Fuel injection should solve alot of my problems as well... any special considerations? I just wanna throw some ideas around, see what you guys think and if it looks like a viable project then screw it... I'll start building that for my dart. Thanks

You might want to pose your questions over on slantsix.org. There are tons of gurus there who have done this, as well as many build threads to study.

The talk of intercoolers worries me a bit..... 8-10 psi boost is pretty safe but going beyond that starts taking more care. You can start at a lower level w/o an intercooler. This is not a CTD where 20-25 psi is normal stock pressures...And If was going to turbo it, I personally would not start with a reman'd engine.... quality control is going to be a key and you can't guarantee that through a reman. (But it also depends on your confidence in your skills too.)

Ima thinkin' that the rear axle needs a change too.

Fuel injection brings a whole host of new thing to solve so IMHO it is not necessarily a problem solver.

If you are going down this road, I'd suggest a rebuild with forged pistons and stockish CR, and start with a 2 BBL carbed system to get the engine running, cam broken in, and those issues wrung out. Then a trans and axle upgrade if you really are going turbo. Then start the conversion process. Biting it all off at once when you are new this game is a recipe for big trouble.

Many posts here on the slant turbo theory, esp. by Bill Dedman who fabb'ed one w intercooler. I would guess the factory exhaust manifold is not restrictive compared to the flow area in a properly sized turbo. Pishta here fabb'ed a U-tube to connect factory exhaust to a turbo flange (T3 or T4).

I also used a "U" tube off a stock exhaust manifold on my turbo slant. I used a turbo from a Corvair (slightly modified) in a Draw thru, no charge cooler, water alcohol injection, running about 10 lbs boost.
A stock slant will handle 10 lbs boost as long as you don't run lean, or get into detonation.
PS: Most people don't consider this on a mild turbo slant. Even with a stock cam, use 340 valve springs. Not because of rpm, but because the pressure on the back side of the valve, reduces the effective spring pressure.

-
Back