**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Well I started the mock up of my GT45 Ebay turbo's. I will try and document everything that I can and take alot of pictures.

As most of you know, I have already done a Triangulated 4 Link, mini tub, and the back half of the cage.

My Set up will be a 410 Small Block Mopar with 9:1 Compression using RHS INDY X Heads, The motor alone should make about 500HP at the crank, 2 GT45 Ebay Turbo's, 2 60mm Wastegates, 2 50MM Blow off valves, Block Hugger Headers to keep the cost and fabrication to a minimum, 2 air/water intercoolers, 1 mounted in each front fender well, a heat exchanger mounted up front with 2 10" Fans and a closed loop ice box in the trunk for race purposes. I will also be using an AIS Stage 2 Meth injection kit with multiple nozzles. I am shooting for 700-800RWHP....................

As of last night I have 1 Turbo mocked up so far. I hope to have the other one done by this Saturday!

This is the car on the ground after a home built Triangulated 4 Link and Mini Tub, Disc Brake conversion.

View attachment IMG_1564.jpg

This is the rear of the cage tacked in ready for my buddy to come over and finish up the front half of the cage. I don't like the kits how they come in the cockpit area, he will turn it into a 12pt. Nicely tucked thru the dash etc.

View attachment IMG_1614.jpg

View attachment IMG_2019.jpg

View attachment IMG_2020.jpg

View attachment IMG_2021.jpg

View attachment IMG_2022.jpg

I had to remove the pan and I notched the corner of it instead of cutting the K FRAME, I am drilling tapping and welding the Turbo Drain Bungs into the new Beautiful Milodon pan anyway................soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

View attachment IMG_2025.jpg

View attachment IMG_2023.jpg

View attachment IMG_2024.jpg

Here we go!

This is where I am setting them in the engine bay to see how in the F*** all this stuff is going to fit under this little abody hood without cutting the crap out of the car. This took me a while to figure out but I think I have it under control. This is after 15hrs of starring at it!

View attachment IMG_2036.jpg

View attachment IMG_2047.jpg

View attachment 180912

View attachment 180908

View attachment IMG_2048.jpg

View attachment IMG_2049.jpg

View attachment IMG_2046.jpg

View attachment IMG_2042.jpg

View attachment IMG_2040.jpg

View attachment IMG_2039.jpg

I am using 2 60mm Wastegates and 2 50mm Blow off valves. These were purchased thru ebay also.

I am still waiting on the other wastegate that was back ordered. It should be here next week.

Anyway I was doing some reading on these parts and decided to take them apart and check them out. I did find that all the O rings were tore in the wastegate, a nut was the wrong size and probably would have came off. SOooooooooo, I basically rebuilt it with new o rings, new nut and jam nut to hold the diaphram on. The Diaphram is made out of some good material, it looks exactly like the Tial Diaphram! I cleaned it all up and used RED Locktite on all the allen bolts, nuts etc. I polished the valve and also put a healthy dose of anti sieze on it. The valve is made out of SOLID STAINLESS.

I also took out the middle spring and left the skinny coil which is the fattest spring in it. I hooked it up to bench test it and the valve opened smoothly at about 4lbs of boost. So I hooked up my Hallman boost controller and turned up the boost pressure to 45lbs. That thing works awesome. I can control the boost from 4lbs all the way up to the set pressure of 45+ or whatever I set it at. The valve opens SMOOTH and closes perfect.

I also took apart the Blow off Valves and inspected them. They were fine with nothing to report. I did however take out the same spring "the middle one" and bench tested both of them with a TEE and calibrated them to open at the exact same time with 10lbs of back pressure. So when the throttle shuts the butterfly's on the carb at say 5lbs of boost the pressure in the intake tube will probably go to 10+ lbs and BLOW off the boost in the tract! They work awesome on the bench!

**UPDATE** The other wastegate showed up and It had the same problems. It took me about 15 minutes to do the same minor rebuild and calibrate it to up at the exact same time as the other one on the test bench!!

View attachment IMG_2051.jpg

View attachment IMG_2053.jpg

View attachment IMG_2050.jpg

View attachment IMG_2052.jpg

This shows the 3" to 2 1/2" Reducer I had made at a muffler shop out of 13 Gauge material. These cost me a whole $7.00, I felt guilty so I bought the guys some Taco's also!! This will weld directly to the Turbo Flange.

View attachment IMG_2063.jpg

View attachment IMG_2061.jpg

View attachment IMG_2062.jpg

2 Air to Water intercoolers will be mounted in the front fender wells.

View attachment IMG_2066.jpg

View attachment IMG_2065.jpg

View attachment IMG_2069.jpg

View attachment IMG_2071.jpg

When the car is on the ground at ride height you will have a hard time seeing these!

View attachment IMG_2073.jpg

View attachment IMG_2070.jpg

View attachment IMG_2072.jpg

Ok, 1 Turbo is mocked up and tacked in place.

I set it at the exact degree that the engine sits in and it is level and square to it also. It took quite a bit if figuring so the Alternator would clear in the factory spot. I will need to use about a 2" Shorter fan belt which is no big deal.

I also had to make sure the hood would shut and that the exhaust out would clear the Shock rod and Nut.

In the same way I needed to make sure I had enough room for the intercooler piping, wastegate and enough room for a Conical style filter....ughhhhh it was a pain in the arzzzz but it was fun and I enjoy doing this stuff:-D:-D

View attachment IMG_2089.jpg

View attachment IMG_2085.jpg

View attachment IMG_2084.jpg

View attachment IMG_2086.jpg

View attachment IMG_2087.jpg

View attachment IMG_2088.jpg

View attachment IMG_2091.jpg

View attachment IMG_2090.jpg

Mad Dart,
Whree are your motor mounts from? Home made? L8r

Jim

No I bought these here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4695/

I will be making my own SOLID MOTOR MOUNTS though! I raised the engine about a 1/4". When doing this swap from a 6 to an 8 the motor mount on the passenger side is ALOT thicker than the Solid Motor mounts you can buy. Sooooooo the solution to that problem is to make my own!

Holy s#!t man.. Thats going to be one wild ride for sure. SUBSCRIBED

I will be supporting both Turbo's either from the frame rail or off the cylinder head. The turbo flanges will be triangle boxed into whatever I end up making.

Where did you get the intercoolers from? What is the plan for the drivers side?

Louis you just need to sell your house and move next door to me here in Utah. That way I have some cool stuff to look at while I hang out and drink beer at your place. LOL. Build is looking great. Awesome.

Very interesting, I plan on following this and learning something. Thanks for the pictures!

Why the Hedmans? You obviously have welding/fab skills... so why not make your own headers? Especially since the exhaust system is such a critical part of this build. Seems like you could make it/tune it however you want. Just curious.

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Where did you get the intercoolers from? What is the plan for the drivers side?

These are the EXACT same Intercoolers that Frozenboost.com sells except I got 2 of them delivered off Ebay for $168.00 instead of $149.00 Each!

The Drivers side will be exactly the same except that the exhaust in will be a little bit different is all. I am trying to Mirror the exact location on the drivers side and have the exhaust dump in the same location on each side.

I just bought a 4" Hole saw to cut some holes in the inner fender well for the intercooler piping! The goal is to have 2 holes on each side that are in the exact same spots. I am trying to make it clean and use some type of trim after the cut to detail it out. Maybe some type of door trim?

Why the Hedmans? You obviously have welding/fab skills... so why not make your own headers? Especially since the exhaust system is such a critical part of this build. Seems like you could make it/tune it however you want. Just curious.

Read Post #1

They say boost is like Crackkkkkkkk, so eventually someday I probably will upgrade the whole system.

Also on the passenger side it would be VERY difficult to run the exhaust out of the car without molesting the inner fender wells to where there is not much left. The goal here also is not to cut the car up a whole bunch!

Also check this out, post 13 in this thread......................http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143580.0;topicseen

It made almost 1600 HP using Block Hugger Headers! Damn:-D

i would be inversting in alot of heat blankets and such because that exhaust and those turbos will be thrown heat like nothing else!

Looking good Louis!When do you have to be back to the Asylum?I now know for sure you,ve gone MAD!!!LOL.Will be following your handywork closely.

-
Back