US Car Tool A518 Cross member

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I saw this on the US Car Tool site, when looking at the 2004r mount.

67-75 A-Body 518 Crossmember Kit

I was originally going to do the 2004r swap, but I cannot locate a core and the rebuilt ones are expensive ($1700+) I don't need an all out race version, I just have a mild 340 and want the overdrive.

My question is, can I use this cross member for the A500? Not sure how much of a difference there is between the 500/518. I sent this over to US Car tool also.

I had the same thought. I ordered one last week and received it a few days ago. I figured, at worst, it's a starting point that I can modify to accommodate an A-500.

I'm using a stock 318 or 5.2, and don't need the strength and weight of a 518.

vm

I had the same thought. I ordered one last week and received it a few days ago. I figured, at worst, it's a starting point that I can modify to accommodate an A-500.

I'm using a stock 318 or 5.2, and don't need the strength and weight of a 518.

vm

Nice! Let us know how it works out! I am wondering if the upper cross member mods are still needed or are as extensive when you make your own. I have seen the threads of A500 install.

Nice! Let us know how it works out! I am wondering if the upper cross member mods are still needed or are as extensive when you make your own. I have seen the threads of A500 install.

Will do, but I'm a LONG way from doing the trans swap. I've just noticed that parts like this can sometimes come and go (Rocky Mountain Dash, anyone?), and wanted to jump on this piece while it's available.

vm

Will do, but I'm a LONG way from doing the trans swap. I've just noticed that parts like this can sometimes come and go (Rocky Mountain Dash, anyone?), and wanted to jump on this piece while it's available.

vm

Agreed. Hopefully someone who has made the swap or is more knowledgeable about the differences will chime in.

Agreed. Hopefully someone who has made the swap or is more knowledgeable about the differences will chime in.

FWIW, I saw that the dimensions indicate that the trans mount is in the same location on both the A-500 and the A-518. That's what I based my decision on. Worst case, I go with a 518.

vm

vm

The A518 is 3 inches longer and the OD unit is bigger around than the A500, but the mount is in the same location.
The A500 barely fits the trans tunnel without floor mods, but does require a redesign or removal of the hoop section of the cross member that goes over the trans and is welded to the underside of the hump.

The A518 is 3 inches longer and the OD unit is bigger around than the A500, but the mount is in the same location.
The A500 barely fits the trans tunnel without floor mods, but does require a redesign or removal of the hoop section of the cross member that goes over the trans and is welded to the underside of the hump.

Hm. I wonder why the 200R-4 kit includes the upper crossmember hoop reinforcement, but the 518 kit doesn't? I (wrongly) assumed that the upper hoop wouldn't need modification.

vm

Greg, my recollection is the OD housings are identical and can interchange. The main trans housing is larger/longer on the 518 vs the 500.

I didn't think either would fit without fitting the factory cross member.

I wonder if an a500 could be built to live on the street with a 440....

The description in the link implies the top of the crossmember needs to be removed but the floor does not.

Clip: Additional clearance may be required including cutting the factory crossmember for the transmission tail-shaft and the speedometer or VSS cable/sensor. The factory floor remains in the original location.

BTW, the picture in the link makes it look like the body needs no mods. Little bit misleading, in my mind.

Greg, my recollection is the OD housings are identical and can interchange. The main trans housing is larger/longer on the 518 vs the 500.

No scat?:D
I thought the 518 OD was bigger.
Oops.

Are you saying that this mount would in fact put the 500 in the correct spot for mounting?

Mopar_trans.jpg

Im going to call US Car Tool and inquire why the upper hoop isnt included. Im pretty sure that piece would have to be cut out. @TrailBeast I know you did the swap making your crossmember, what was involved with the upper hoop?

Im going to call US Car Tool and inquire why the upper hoop isnt included. Im pretty sure that piece would have to be cut out. @TrailBeast I know you did the swap making your crossmember, what was involved with the upper hoop?

Sorry, been kind of busy.
Yes, everything shows the actual mount is the same place between the 500 and 518.

The part of the hoop that runs over the top of the trans that does NOT sit flush with the floor pan is what I had to trim off.
I left the two straps that are welded to the hump.

Here's a pic that shows where I trimmed it off.
I have welded in 2x3 steel subframe connectors with an .085 wall thickness, so taking a little support away from that didn't bother me.

518m.JPG

Sorry, been kind of busy.
Yes, everything shows the actual mount is the same place between the 500 and 518.

The part of the hoop that runs over the top of the trans that does NOT sit flush with the floor pan is what I had to trim off.
I left the two straps that are welded to the hump.

Here's a pic that shows where I trimmed it off.
I have welded in 2x3 steel subframe connectors with an .085 wall thickness, so taking a little support away from that didn't bother me.

View attachment 1715014761

This is great. I also have subftame connectors. Looks like this is going to be a better option for OD because of the availability. Thanks again.

There are some pics in here for how I did my upper hoop support if it helps any.
Project`67 Dart GT 340 A500

Last edited:
Will the v6 version of the a500 bolt to the LA 340? Found one locally at a yard, but they want $300. It is in working order tho. Some yards wanted upwards of $750.

-
Back