Using a non L/U converter with a L/U valve body?

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So here's my plan... I've got a 1992 3-pin 518, and the front drum came apart (the snap ring that holds the piston and springs let go), expanded, and pretty much chewed into everything from the stator support through to the rear clutch piston retainer. It even squished the splines on the front planetary a little. I have all the correct tri-pot washer style non-lockup 727 parts to put in it, so I can keep my current converter, but finding a 2-pin non-L/U overdrive valve body is proving to be difficult. Or really expensive. Or both. Would my current valve body know the difference if I ran it this way, and just never enabled the lockup solenoid?

Do I understand you correctly that your using 727 non-lockup parts but the converter was from the 518 that was a lockup? If so that won't work. Input spline count is different from lockup to non-lockup

No, I'll be using a non-lockup converter as well. Basically taking everything from the rear drum fwd out of the 727 and putting it into the 518. After re-reading my first post, I obviously didn't make that clear, the 727 that's in my car right now will be donating all the necessary parts.

Last edited:
Ok. I wouldn't think it'd be a problem is you disable the lockup circuit (I think it's solenoid operated but I'm not positive), but with my lack of od experience I can't say positively. BTW: did you check www.wittrans.com for a non lockup VB? Their usually reasonable on prices and carry a lot of used parts. I've bought from them a few times and have always been pleased with their parts

I'm hoping that will be the case, I simply won't wire in the lockup solenoid. I like the converter I currently have in the car (with the 727), and would just move it into the 518. I'm assuming it'll develop a bit more heat with a normal converter, but I can't see why it would be any more than a non l/u 727. It will get a cooler, and maybe the larger lines will also help. I've checked out WIT, they seem to have pretty good prices and a lot of stock. I get most of my used stuff from Mmerlinn, he used to be in Portland (driving distance) but relocated to southern Oregon a year or two ago.

Thanks, I will. FWIW, the Transgo kits, as well as the separator plate they sell covers both 518 valve bodies, so I assume they can't be all that different. I haven't ordered the TFOD-2 kit yet, so I'm not able to look at anything that may be in the instructions. I believe the solenoid valve closes off a bypass to apply fluid to the converter clutch circuit, so all I should have is a supply of fluid returning to the pan. I think.

-
Back