Using Antique/Historical License Plates in Georgia

Did this thread help you with this procedure?

• No?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comments?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

7071DartGTReg

Deceased - RIP Bruce
Legendary Member
Reaction score
OK,
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in here for Georgia residents.
In GA you can re-assign a "Authentic Historical License Plate" the same year of the car it is going on from 1970 back only. IE: 1970 tag on a 1970 car and so on - NO EXCEPTIONS! The tag needs to be VG or better condition, restored or original. The interpretation of condition is up to the tax/tag agent you hand it to - so be prepared. You must also have a standard tag currently registered to the car and valid. You will then need to go to:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/motor/MV_Authentic_Historical_Tag_Affidavit_Form_T224.pdf

and fill out "The Affidavit of Ownership" (T-224 (Revised 8-2005) form online and then print out the form (I print out 2 copies as the tax/tag agent SOMETIMES wants to keep a copy - go figure).

Then gather up your; Current Registration, The Authentic Historical License Plate, The 2 copies of The Affidavit of Ownership Forms (T-224 (Revised 8-2005), and your Drivers License and head to your county tax/tag office :clock:. The instructions for this procedure are also right on the Affidavit Form (T-224 (Revised 8-2005). There is no additional tax/tag charges for this service.

You then must carry the current Tag, Registration, and the Affidavit Form (T-224 (Revised 8-2005) in the car at all times.

:stop: Most Police Departments are getting used to this but be forwarned - They WILL use the Historical Tag as "Probable Cause" to pull you over! You best be (and I presume we all are :-\") Clean and Legal at all times on the road.

I hope this helps other Georgia FABO, FBBO, and FEBO members with this issue.

Later,
Bruce B.

Update!!!!

Georgia will be changing the Historical Tag display ages to 25 years old and older as of June 01, 2009! I will confirm this info then and post it here.

Later,
Bruce B.

Thanks Bruce,
Good info there.
C

Florida does the same
tag must have never been registered and not repainted send to Tallahassee with 35.00 and they research and send back with sticker if clean background.
yearly cost is same as vanity tag Fl tags from 70 were june to june EX 70-71 same tag and all prefix numbers were counties by population ex miami 1 tampa 3

yup and also the following:
2 Duvall/Jacksonville
4 Pinellas/St. Pete
15 Manatee/Bradenton
16 Sarasota/Sarasota

-
Back