Using mustang rotors for 4.5" bc

-
I wonder if the Australian 72 up valiants and chargers discs would fit. They're all the BB patern.

I just learned something new. I have a set of KH 4 piston disc brakes,complete with spindles etc. Would love to try this...

Have mine on. Should have cut more than .270 out of the inner bearing race. Had to take some material off the caliper to clear the rotor. All on now though with the new wheel.

How the heck would someone go about getting brake parts for an aussie mopar? Rock auto sure doesn't carry them!

Seems like the most Difficult part of the swap is finding a machinist. Ordered the rotors from Amazon. Raybestos 6004R. $83.56 and free shipping.

Any one else have recent updates?

Seems like the most Difficult part of the swap is finding a machinist. Ordered the rotors from Amazon. Raybestos 6004R. $83.56 and free shipping.

Any one else have recent updates?

Yeah I got mine done to the normal specs the same as what i posted on the previous page and got the suggested dust covers. They fit and work perfectly, no vibrations, no slop, mounted right up just has to grind away about 3mm from the caliper but that is easy peasy.

Just to clarify, apart from turning down the outer diameter, in the first picture the highlighted outmost surface has to be cut down to the same height as the original disc and in picture two the bearing has to be removed and its seat has to be lowered by .271?
Last pic is an original disc for refernce.

View attachment 1715009580

View attachment 1715009582

View attachment 1715009586

While visiting my family in Oklahoma for a funeral, my dad and I met with his machinist friend. The guy is amazing. Can custom make ring gears, pinions, planetaries you name it. He’s done this type of rotor work in the past. Pallet loads of rotors that he machined down for some company back east. He’s semi retired now but got the good ol boy shop rate.

Machining to be done

1. 11.00-11.09” rotor diameter
2. Inner Race seat machined down .271-.275”?
3. Hub height to match Mopar original. Does anyone have the mic’d measurement for the original inner rotor hub height? Need to know how much needs to be cut down to match the Mopar originals. Thanks in advance.

If all goes well I might get a few sets done and offer them here on FABO. It’s a niche market but seems like a great way to get BBP with minimal alterations.

Wonder what people would be willing to pay for already machined rotors? $300 for a pair?

While visiting my family in Oklahoma for a funeral, my dad and I met with his machinist friend. The guy is amazing. Can custom make ring gears, pinions, planetaries you name it. He’s done this type of rotor work in the past. Pallet loads of rotors that he machined down for some company back east. He’s semi retired now but got the good ol boy shop rate.

Machining to be done

1. 11.00-11.09” rotor diameter
2. Inner Race seat machined down .271-.275”?
3. Hub height to match Mopar original. Does anyone have the mic’d measurement for the original inner rotor hub height? Need to know how much needs to be cut down to match the Mopar originals. Thanks in advance.

If all goes well I might get a few sets done and offer them here on FABO. It’s a niche market but seems like a great way to get BBP with minimal alterations.

Wonder what people would be willing to pay for already machined rotors? $300 for a pair?

What is the mic’d measurement?

What is the mic’d measurement?
Just looking for the height of the original Mopar rotor hub or the finished product like in the picture you posted. I’m having the work done remotely through my dad and the measurements are all the machinist really needs. Micrometer measurement of what’s pictured.

F9742DFF-5E65-4EBA-A056-A11602F047F2.jpeg

Just looking for the height of the original Mopar rotor hub or the finished product like in the picture you posted. I’m having the work done remotely through my dad and the measurements are all the machinist really needs. Micrometer measurement of what’s pictured.

View attachment 1715186276

Oh right, Im not sure what that measurement is. I gave my machinist the new rotors and the original ones to match them to. I could measure mine but I dont want to give you an inaccurate figure. It might say farther back in the thread.

I can't remember his price but to a capable machinist it would be a walk in the park hence me thinking he was milking a niche market. Fair enough i guess
There's great buying for the combined hub,disc from Rockauto and others to get you started.
Most people thinking about this mod are likely to have a Kelsey Hayes for the machinist to reference anyway which is always easier

Ram Man was somewhere around $400-$600 a pair. They looked like they were based on the Mustang rotors, having had the windows in them.

I just remember seeing them on his website, and then they were gone. I was a little fuzzy on the price, but remembered feeling it felt high.

So from what i see here the 6004R rotor for the 66 mustang and the 40154S National seal are the parts I need to do this conversion?. Machine the inner bearing seat down by .271 and cut the rotor down to 11.09 and remove the inner hub surface down to the seal surface to clear the dust shields. Just want to be sure Im not missing something. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to doing this!

Just bought two rotors from rock auto 75 for the pair shipped gonna do the swap on my 72 Dart already have lbp in rear with 8 1/4

Last edited:
Just bought two rotors from rock auto 75 for the pair shipped gonna do the swap on my 72 Dart already have lbp in rear with 8 1/4

Yeah I need to do this as well. I just realized the difference in bolt pattern when I went to install new wheels. I’ll be buying some rotors as well...

It would be awesome if someone could post all the specs for the rotor conversion on one page . Then you could order everything on the list and the machinist can read the specs easily hopefully keeping the cost reasonable.

I just had mine done. They fit good with the tight oil seals. I should have bought the drilled and slotted rotors.
My machinist charged me $250 CAD. All in all it cost me $450.

hello all is there any one that would be interested in maybe having me a set of theses rotors machined for me to install thanks john

Are the raybestos rotors the strongest rotors available? Seems like a rotor with a solid hub would be better than the web design the raybestos uses??
Is there any concern about the balance of the rotors once the diameter is machined?
Thanks

Are the raybestos rotors the strongest rotors available? Seems like a rotor with a solid hub would be better than the web design the raybestos uses??
Is there any concern about the balance of the rotors once the diameter is machined?
Thanks

I think you're right, there's little doubt a solid hub would be much stronger, but it looks as if not just Raybestos, but all brands of the Mustang rotors that would work have the vents. That's a main reason why I swapped the spindles, and went with the 11.75" rotors.
I don't think anyone has complained in this thread about the balance. If it's an issue, you could take it to a shop that balances the wheel on the hub. Those are probably getting scarce, though.

-
Back