Warning about Jegs V cover grommets

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Just to let you all know, I ordered a couple of new valve cover breather grommets from Jegs a few months ago and they have both swelled up and turned to slimey goo so had to be replaced.
Caught both of them just before the section inside the V covers completely separated and fell inside the motor. (they split almost all the way around the cover groove)
I replaced them with Mr.Gasket brand from Autozone a month or so ago, and they are still nice and firm.

The first clue was my breathers were sitting crooked on the covers.

Just an FYI

Good call, probably an incorrect rubber formulation. They might survive with full synthetic motor oil but that's still a recall issue.

While we are talking about JEGS labeled parts, beware of the swivel fuel fittings for AN hose.
I run alcohol & drain the fuel system if the car is sitting for more than a weekend.

The AN fitting that rely on an o-ring seal will dry out & leak like a seave.
I have replaced two so far & JEGS knows there is a problem.
They will replace them, even the ones that isn't leaking yet.

I don't know if there is a concern with them if you are using gasoline.

Bummer I was told awhile back that certain rubbers can dissolve with full synthetic oils, that's what happened when my buddy changed his oil and started running full synthetic in his engine with 120,000 miles on it the old style rubber valve seal just fell apart and he ended up pulling the engine.

Heres a good read for what I mentioned about the synthetic oils.

[ame]http://www.synmaxperformancelubricants.com/PDFs/SynMax_Tech_MotorOil_Seal_Performance.pdf[/ame]

Bummer I was told awhile back that certain rubbers can dissolve with full synthetic oils, that's what happened when my buddy changed his oil and started running full synthetic in his engine with 120,000 miles on it the old style rubber valve seal just fell apart and he ended up pulling the engine.
not advised to use syn on and old motor with 120,000 miles unless all the gaskets and seals were replaced , the syn oil will clean all the old built up gunk and find that spot to leak .
Been using only synthetic oil since 1980 on all my cars and bikes , never a problem

-
Back