Welder for body work?

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
I recently thought about picking up one of the $100 harbor freight flux welders mainly for doing body work. I probably wouldn't use this welder for much more than body work so I didn't want to spend too much money. Does anyone know if this welder is suitable for body work or any work in general? Thanks.

I have one ,I use it on all types of metal work(light duty)It takes a little getting use to to lay a good bead.Keep amps as low as possible................................................Jeff

I have one ,I use it on all types of metal work(light duty)It takes a little getting use to to lay a good bead.Keep amps as low as possible................................................Jeff
So it's a decent buy then?

It is a disposable buy. Getting parts once it breaks is nearly impossible. Flux core wire is not the best for doing sheet metal. It needs to burn hotter than a solid wire with gas sheilding. Hobart is made by miler and can be found for a decent price.

It is a disposable buy. Getting parts once it breaks is nearly impossible. Flux core wire is not the best for doing sheet metal. It needs to burn hotter than a solid wire with gas sheilding. Hobart is made by miler and can be found for a decent price.
Ok thanks.

What is your experience so far with welding? The best $300 you can spend maybe a MIG class at your local trade school.

That Chicago Electric flux wire welder they sell at Harbor Freight is a REALLY useful piece, and perfect for doing light bodywork.
At $109 bucks, its an absolute steal.

What is your experience so far with welding? The best $300 you can spend maybe a MIG class at your local trade school.

I can mig fairly well. I have taken a mig class at my local trade school and have been mig welding for a few years now. Currently learning how to tig at work.

So it's a decent buy then?

If it's what your budget allows, go for it. I used one for multiple tasks on my car and the wifes car.

The flux core wire is messy, and will require a little extra time doing spatter cleanup, but it does work.

When I could afford it I upgraded to a mig. Much much better.

That Chicago Electric flux wire welder they sell at Harbor Freight is a REALLY useful piece, and perfect for doing light bodywork.
At $109 bucks, its an absolute steal.
Ive got to replace part of the floor. Outer quarters. Rockers. Sail panel and trunk floor in my dart. Can it handle that?

If it's what your budget allows, go for it. I used one for multiple tasks on my car and the wifes car.

The flux core wire is messy, and will require a little extra time doing spatter cleanup, but it does work.

When I could afford it I upgraded to a mig. Much much better.
Yeah, I've welded with flux before, splatters a lot. Nothing a grinder won't take care of :)

The collision repair industry is moving towards mig brazing. If I were to buy an at home unit, I would get one with this capability.

Any recommendations?
As mentioned above, Hobart is a good machine. Also look at Eastwood. They are Chinese machines, but at least they are backed by a stand up company. For sheet metal I like a machine that can run .023 wire.

Also don't rule out high end machines. They run manufacturer specials all the time. Miller's "build with blue" promos are great. Sometimes $500 off.

You might check Craigs List. I found this brand new in the box for 250.00. Pretty good welder for what I do.

welder.jpg

I got everything you see for that price, it even included a brand new in the box gas kit, and 2 rolls of wire and the self darkening helmet. I went and bought a bottle of gas, now all I have to do when I need gas is exchange the bottle. Never have to worry about the dates on them.

You might check Craigs List. I found this brand new in the box for 250.00. Pretty good welder for what I do.

View attachment 1714988820

I got everything you see for that price, it even included a brand new in the box gas kit, and 2 rolls of wire and the self darkening helmet. I went and bought a bottle of gas, now all I have to do when I need gas is exchange the bottle. Never have to worry about the dates on them.

I've looked at a few gas models. The main reason I'm leaning towards flux is because it doesn't require gas. I currently do not have a garage so I would have to store the welder and bottle in my storage shed. Which is located on the other side of my property. Is the one the picture shows 110?

As mentioned above, Hobart is a good machine. Also look at Eastwood. They are Chinese machines, but at least they are backed by a stand up company. For sheet metal I like a machine that can run .023 wire.

Is .030 and .035 wire too much for sheet metal?

It was. To buy it all new it would have cost me, meh, 700 bucks maybe.
That's a good deal. We've got a lot of welders at work. Gonna see if any of the guys I work with have any migs they aren't using any more and are willing to sell them. Do you know how much it cost for an empty Argon tank?

-
Back