What are the drawbacks of an F Body?

-

vonfilm

Reaction score
I would like to have a Mopar for the street on a tight budget. My ideal would be a 68 Barracuda Formula S Fastback, but I can't afford one of those right now.

I am looking at a clean, rust free, good running 79 Volare coupe with a slant six and column shifted automatic. The asking price is $2000. What are the drawbacks of this car as the basis of a street rod with a mild 360? I would be happy with 300 hp.

Should I hold out for an A body?

Not to be a downer; just stating a truth......rust free and "F-Body" don't really go together; they literally were rusting on the dealers lots when new! That said, there are some nice examples out there, look hard, look close, don't fall in love with the first one you see unless you KNOW this is the one.

With a 360, they can be a fun driver, lots of parts still out there at a reasonable cost, "F", "J", and "M" bodies are your source materiel.

Things to know:

They never came with an 8 3/4 rear from the factory, though they; an 8 /34; can be made to fit.
They never came from the factory with a big block, again they can be made to fit.
They never came from the factory with dual exhausts, you have to work at putting in a full length dual exhaust system in.

Knowing the above, you may want to hold out for an "A" body, or take a road less traveled and do an "F" body, choice is yours.

Good Luck!

I bought my '74 Duster for $2k.

Here in California that car would have to be smog checked since its later than '75, which is a pretty big turn off. An engine swap would have to be refereed here. Probably not an issue in Texas. I'm personally not a fan of the body style either, but to each their own. Biggest drawbacks were the smog parts and lost horsepower, but again that might not be an issue where you're at.

I would like to have a Mopar for the street on a tight budget. My ideal would be a 68 Barracuda Formula S Fastback, but I can't afford one of those right now.

I am looking at a clean, rust free, good running 79 Volare coupe with a slant six and column shifted automatic. The asking price is $2000. What are the drawbacks of this car as the basis of a street rod with a mild 360? I would be happy with 300 hp.

Should I hold out for an A body?

Draw backs? Besides being basically unwanted for there general ungainly looks and lack of OOTB muscle?

Heavy (semi adjustable)
Odd suspension (Changeable)
Ugly interior (imagination & talent limited)
So-so exterior (read above)
Limited resources on resto and updated parts.
Lock up torque converter transmissions

The pro's are there cheap and "possibly" in better shape, because there newer.
Most of the "Old Tricks" for power, handling, still apply.
Running something different!
Not many run that era iron.

The rear end is at best a 8-1/4. That's not an bad thing unless you start in with A LOT of torque.
The rear suspension is the ISO. I would take steps to rid myself of it. In favor of the older direct attachment method.

For help and more updated info on the FMJ body line and there issues and potential, click below!
For FMJ Bodies Only

I've owned Aspen/Volare's. Let me say, they are neat cars with a lot of potential. Here is why:
1). You can raise/lower the front end without getting a front end alignment, unlike A-bodies.
2). Both small AND Big blocks fit nicely in them.
3). 8 1/4 rear ends are very easy to find and cheaper than A bodies. AND, the 8 1/4 rear end is plenty tough enough for any 350 horsepower small block.
4). All have disc brakes.
5). All have the Large bolt pattern.
6). Factory window louvers and trunk fins were options, along with 360 4bbls, and bucket seats with consoles, and T-tops
7). A lot of these with slants were super six's. Just the intake, carb, and linkage will sell for enough $$ to buy a 200 dollar LA 360 off of CL.

A few reasons not to like them are....
- Hard to get the dual exhaust out the back because of the gas tank. Easier to exit before the back tires.
- All have emissions. Depends on where you live it that's a real concern
- Sure they rust, but so does every car made in the 70's, and rust bad.
Not mine but a nice example ....

aspen.jpg

You can put in a B body 8.75 rear end, and they have nice wheelbase of 108, like a Duster or Barracuda

I've owned Aspen/Volare's. Let me say, they are neat cars with a lot of potential. Here is why:
1). You can raise/lower the front end without getting a front end alignment, unlike A-bodies.
2). Both small AND Big blocks fit nicely in them.
3). 8 1/4 rear ends are very easy to find and cheaper than A bodies. AND, the 8 1/4 rear end is plenty tough enough for any 350 horsepower small block.
4). All have disc brakes.
5). All have the Large bolt pattern.
6). Factory window louvers and trunk fins were options, along with 360 4bbls, and bucket seats with consoles, and T-tops
7). A lot of these with slants were super six's. Just the intake, carb, and linkage will sell for enough $$ to buy a 200 dollar LA 360 off of CL.

A few reasons not to like them are....
- Hard to get the dual exhaust out the back because of the gas tank. Easier to exit before the back tires.
- All have emissions. Depends on where you live it that's a real concern
- Sure they rust, but so does every car made in the 70's, and rust bad.
Not mine but a nice example ....

View attachment 1715019604

Had a bunch of F's...right now a 76 Aspen wagon.
I agree with the positives quoted above.
Also they are real good driving cars, especially for the era.
Loads of interchangeability with M bodies.
Console was auto trans only.
Schumacher mounts are the same ones used by 73+ A's.
78-80 you can move the gas tank over to the right enough to run true duals.
Most of them only had a cat...plus the other little bits on the engine. I believe the air pump was mostly cali. Only had an air pump on a couple.
They do have their rust-prone spots, like any cars. Lower rear 1/4's, corner of 1/4 under the taillight, ds front floor pan above frame rail, front rail where it turns to go under floor pan...
Not really any aftermarket for reproduction body parts but there are a fair amount of NOS parts still out there and some items like flares, wings, etc. are being reproduced.

They were the next evolution of the A body. Too bad they only lasted for 5 years.
147.jpg

Not to be a downer; just stating a truth......rust free and "F-Body" don't really go together; they literally were rusting on the dealers lots when new! That said, there are some nice examples out there, look hard, look close, don't fall in love with the first one you see unless you KNOW this is the one.

With a 360, they can be a fun driver, lots of parts still out there at a reasonable cost, "F", "J", and "M" bodies are your source materiel.

Things to know:

They never came with an 8 3/4 rear from the factory, though they; an 8 /34; can be made to fit.
They never came from the factory with a big block, again they can be made to fit.
They never came from the factory with dual exhausts, you have to work at putting in a full length dual exhaust system in.

Knowing the above, you may want to hold out for an "A" body, or take a road less traveled and do an "F" body, choice is yours.

Good Luck!
mighta been rare option but my uncles 79 volare roadrunner came with 360 police package, 727 with high rpm factory stall, and defiantly duel exhausts with 68,000 miles still on it now! of corse a F body can be pretty and hotrodded as any other car i know when i drove my uncles people were drawn to it every where i went...

Yes, Jimacuda, you are correct that they are excellent drivers. I have owned a few, and so has my brothers, my Dad, very nice drivers for the time.

I had a 76 orange Aspen R/T , 360 , 904 with a white bucket seat and console interior , fkn loved that car and still miss it , flares , spoilers , louvers etc. I also had a B5 76 Aspen wagon , 318 , like that beige one above , which was cool, and another blue 77 roadrunner with all the trimmings , I miss that one too.

the question is not what we think of it,..but what you think of it! its your time and money and in a way an expression of your personality and when its all said and done and your setting in drivers seat fixing to take it for a drive,..is it you? are you happy with it? what rest world thinks only matters if ya gonna sale it when your done building it!

1 MAIN concern... finding a RUST free one .... and if you do.... you might as well look for a 73-75 dart... because a rust free F body are worth 3000 and up ....Plus no respect at car shows... people hate volare RR... something about attaching those two names together ... so if you are looking ... find an aspen...
i had a RUST FREE rare color combo Volare RR...

It's all up to the buyer. If I could get a clean slanty 4sp F at affordable (to me) money I'd buy it in a second for a daily driver. Same with anything earlier. Problem is clean and affordable are hard to come by. Anything can be played with to get more power or different looks and once you start that costs are all in line with all body styles.

like already stated, will this car make YOU happy? do you like the interior, the frill, the big bumpers, etc plenty of good A body projects out there at good prices. yep sometimes you have to travel to THEM! and NO Craigslist is NOT (99% of the time) market price!!
if I were to go this F body route, I would be willing to spend a few more $ and get a solid decently nice one. visit the F,M,J site for ideas and support too. last yr back in sw Missouri, I saw a LOW mile slant Aspen survivor, great body, paint, mechanicals asking $3500. NO I t wasn't advertised for sale.( Craigslist!)HA)...

second post on the forum and your basically asking permission to leave?
:poke:

i actually like the volare road runners...pretty sure it is the only road runner ill ever be able to afford
and like other said, road less traveled
you dont see a lot of them at shows
(and the duals can be made easy by installing sidepides...two of em :)

I have a super coupe and they drive great without the rubber biscuits, yep not much love for the F's

I prefer driving my F to any A body car I have.

6e26440d-ac6f-4fc2-9b69-f84edfffc1ec.jpg

People tend to love the R/T, I get a ton of comments when it's on the road. Probably doesn't hurt to have a 340 with a 508 hyd cam it it making some noise. LOL

Picture of the brides old car, she loved this thing!! That's the bride on the left, about 1993!!! It was a good car!!

IMG_3306.JPG

So, what do you think of the M body cars, Diplomat, Lebaron, Grand Fury, and Fifth Avenue? I am drawn to these 318 cars as a way to have an inexpensive V8 sport sedan.

-
Back