What color for my engine bay?

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
We have a thread going around about what color to paint your engine, by the way all of your engine bays looked great. So my question which is a spinoff of that thread. I'm going to 2 tone my car its a 71 Duster, from the 1st bodyline below the fender edge, it is going to be gloss black. below that is a dark charcoal. Basically ripping off Kenny Wayne Shepards Duster paint scheme. What color should I paint the engine compartment? My engine is going to be Viper Red and I am going to paint the intake red also. Thanks.

What ever color the cowl and the tops of the fenders are would look good.

KWS's is gloss black under the hood, which I think would look good if it's just like his paint.

Dan, the engine bay's color was the body paint color. So, if your car is Butterscotch, so is the engine bay.

Well to clear up a couple of points...the black upper portion will be gloss. I do know that a mopars engine compartment is body color. I always think chevy and ford engine bays look cheap! The color break really doesnt leave for a dominate color. The tops of the fenders and cowl will in fact be gloss black, I am leaning towards this way of thinking, but do not want to look like a cheap chevy or ford. I hate flat black engine compartments...however I think charcoal would look funny in the engine compartment with the fender tops being black. Thanks boys!

Do what you want to do, in my opinion, black engine bays let the engine shine without it getting in the way.

Chip Foose said it: "The engine compartment should be like a jewelry box, when you open the hood the engine should stand out like the diamond ring."

Don't diamonds come from coal? ;)

You got it. I think a couple of you didn't read the question at all! Gloss black I think is your answer. Black (non-body-color) engine bays on a Mopar look horrible, but on a black car, they're good, and for all intents and purposes, I'd say your car color in this case is the gloss black. Good luck, post pics when you're done!

-
Back