What harness are you guys running?

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2013 5.7 on the weekend for my 73 Sport. Was wondering what harnesses you guys are running? Also, is there a way to delete the MDS and VVT? Or do they work with aftermarket harnesses?

hemi5.jpg

Nice engine! Truck engine rated at nearly 400 hp, correct? I really like the new engine management systems Mopar has for the 5.7, 6.4 and 6.2 engines. Very "plug n play" including an unlocked (programmable), late model ECM and wiring with only a couple of wires that need to connect into your vehicle wiring. You can tun off MDS, but the VVT needs to be physically locked out via an available kit. I just bought a HC engine and will go with the Mopar kits for it once my bank account recovers.

Ya know, was just thinking that if the referenced ECMs control VVT like with factory cars, VVT isn't a bad thing!

I cannot use the Mopar Harness as it is made for 2014 and newer engines. A few I have been looking at are the Hotwire Harness, EFI Source Gold box and another one which the name is not coming to me right now....really want some input on any of these....I would have done the Mopar version if they were compatible for the 2013 engine!

I have a hotwireauto.com harness on my 06 engine and trans. I am sure they have one for yours as well. Chris was very helpful and will program the computer for whatever you need.

Well.......I found out that my motor is in fact a 2014 5.7.......so I may be going with the mopar kit after all......I like the fact that it comes with the pedal as well

I think what the Mopar marketing department is doing by saying '14 up or '15 up is promoting their crate engines, their available wiring, ECMs etc. They're not necessarily promoting the accessories to go with a used junk yard engine. It's up to us then to research the differences between the engines. I believe '09 to '17 are the same, unless you can confirm the crank wheel or cam wheel are different and I don't believe they are.

I have the exact same year truck pull-out 5.7 but mine needs new lifters and camshaft. I plan to use the Mopar Perf harness as well. I'm gonna do the MDS delete and get all 16 new Hylift Johnson lifters for peace of mind but I'm gonna use a factory replacement 6.4L SRT cam (only about $80 compared to $650 for a Comp piece). Also going to replace all the valve springs; this engine had 135,000 miles and I don't want to drop a valve doing a hard shift at 7000 RPM (manual trans). With the OEM cam and using the MP harness I should be able to retain the VVT based on what I've read of people doing the 6.4 cam swap in their modern 5.7 Rams, Chargers etc.

-
Back