Wheel Adapter

-

COUDA

Reaction score
I search for my Barracuda.Wheel Adapter link:5x4.5 to 5x4.

what is the special 5 on 4 rim? something you cant get on 4.5?

I'm a big fan of the kidneyslot aluminum mags of the period. I collect 'em. They just look right in the 5 on 4 pattern, and 5 on 4s only came in 14s.
The bigger 15s lose their appeal to me, the kidney slots lose their flavor......to me..
But, you gotta have 15s on the back at least.Trying to find traction with 14s is hopeless,eh...

I had some Shelby slots in a 15X5 on 4. Beautiful rim after I hit 'em with a red scotchbrite roll on a drill. Darn things didnt fit under my 65's fender lip.

Adapters are around for going from 5 on 4.0 to 5 on 4.5, but I have never even heard of an adapter that would allow going from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 4.0. I am quite curious why you would want to do that?

My first project was to mount aluminum wheels in 15 pouces with 4.5 inches and replace drum brakes. So I ordered front disc brake with this bolt pattern. I changed my mind and I want to keep my wheels steel with trim rings in 14 pouces with 4 inch bolt pattern. If its adapter does not exist I will find two steel wheels in 4.5 inches ...

Ok , I get it, but
It is highly recommended NOT to run adapters on the front. There are a couple of reasons, chief of which is safety.
But my concern is steering. To bolt a "normal" steel onto the front,with an adapter, means a few things; first it puts a lot of pressure on the outside wheel-bearing which was never designed to carry it. Second id destroys the scrub-radius, making steering heavy and sluggish. Third it pushes the rubber out about 1 inch and the tires may get into the fenders, as the tire cycles thru all it's motions. A fresh alignment will be required to keep the camber from rubbing the tires off, But the alignment will only be good when driving straight ahead. The increased scrub radius will tend to splay the front tires outwards, requiring additional toe-in to compensate. All these things also pertain to non-stock wheels that mess with the scrub-radius.
All-in-all ,adapters on the front are a bad idea.
And unfortunately, I have never seen a factory 14 inch steel wheel in a 5 on 4.5.
They can be bought custom for easy money from Wheel Vintiques. 15s are easy.
And, with 15s, you can put adapters on the back to run 15s there, no problem. But only the SWB A-cars (like Dusters,Demons and 2-gen Barracudas) readily accept this situation in the rear. The other models will likely see rubber getting into the fender lips.

Last edited:
Ok , I get it, but
It is highly recommended NOT to run adapters on the front. There are a couple of reasons, chief of which is safety.
But my concern is steering. To bolt a "normal" steel onto the front,with an adapter, means a few things; first it puts a lot of pressure on the outside wheel-bearing which was never designed to carry it. Second id destroys the scrub-radius, making steering heavy and sluggish. Third it pushes the rubber out about 1 inch and the tires may get into the fenders, as the tire cycles thru all it's motions. A fresh alignment will be required to keep the camber from rubbing the tires off, But the alignment will only be good when driving straight ahead. The increased scrub radius will tend to splay the front tires outwards, requiring additional toe-in to compensate. All these things also pertain to non-stock wheels that mess with the scrub-radius.
All-in-all ,adapters on the front are a bad idea.
And unfortunately, I have never seen a factory 14 inch steel wheel in a 5 on 4.5.
They can be bought custom for easy money from Wheel Vintiques. 15s are easy.
And, with 15s, you can put adapters on the back to run 15s there, no problem. But only the SWB A-cars (like Dusters,Demons and 2-gen Barracudas) readily accept this situation in the rear. The other models will likely see rubber getting into the fender lips.
Yes, but I should buy four wheels in 15 with four tires.
I found this at Wheel vintique. I do not know if my Barracuda OEM wheel are in 14x6 or 14x7 (my tires are 205x70-14), I do not know no more the backspace and if I could fit my trim-ring.
Wheel Vintiques

-
Back