When does money outweigh sentimental value? 1968 notchback build thread

-
Tough call. I agree that up here that ain't so bad. I am working on far worse and becoming a self taught body man. At least I think I am! I also agree that the tunnel you built shows you have the right stuff. Sentimental really puts a twist in it, but do you like the car other than it is your first? I am working on a car I never even considered before I found it, but I fell in love with the body style. That is why I am now resurrecting it from the dead. One thing about going for it, you will know every inch of the car when you're done!

I feel like I haven't been clear. I absolutely love my car. Always have and always been into mopars, specifically A bodies. I built my first BB when I was 12 for my dads friends dart, built my motor, friends had darts, barracudas and dusters. My dad until last Wednesday had a 71 charger R/T. And until today I never questioned my car. Just had the thought it might be to far gone.

Dude- Do not sell that car. Fix it, drive it, teach your kids to drive in it. Life is way too short to not do the things you like to do.

When it comes down to weighing your emotional attachment for a vehicle versus the desire to remain practical there are a few questions you need to ask yourself.

1)What is a realistic estimated cost of finishing the car?

Let's just say (for instance) that the answer is $15,000.

2)Would you rather have a different vehicle for that estimated cost of finishing the one you already have?

If so, then the vehicle you already have is not truly your dream car.

3)Can your budget afford to finish the car?

If not, you're probably over your head and either need to downsize your goals for the car or find a cheaper alternative.

4)Do you have the time and patience to complete the work?

Many guys start projects and lose enthusiasm before they finish. Sometimes it's because of money. Sometimes it's because of the time factor. Most of those guys will end up taking a loss on their investment if they sell.

5)True sentimental attachment and it's value can only be determined by the actual owner. No matter how attached you may think you are to a car you're unlikely to turn down an offer of a million bucks for it. Ask yourself what the tipping point is. Are you willing to invest $25,000 in a car that you may have a hard time selling for $15,000 later on.

If you think it's critical not to get upside-down on how much you've stuck into your car then realistic planning is essential.

6)Others have mentioned it before. If you've got family (or even friends) that you might enjoy working with together on the vehicle, - that can turn even the most miserable jobs into priceless memories.

Another factor that may need to be taken into account is how much pride you might take in building your own car. It doesn't always have to be the prettiest or the fastest but just knowing that you poured a bit of your own blood and sweat into doing a build can be pretty rewarding.

Thanks for the input so far. I try and base decisions on facts and logic. But this ones different, I just don't want my emotions or the sentimental value to cloud my judgement.

Keep it my friend !! Learn from others mistakes. Think of it this way- if you sell it, then later down the road you decide you want another one, you cant find one, they are to expensive, the ones you find are in worse shape than the one you had, ect. I have a 69 cuda that I bought from my uncle ( who bought it new ) I cant do to much to it. Iam not working because of a medical condition. I should sell it because I really need the money, but I will never sell it. NOT for a million. What ever you decide we will be on your side. Good luck

That's not that bad. I'd keep it.

Like RRR said, "Pick a spot-fix it, move on" Only way to go. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

there are thousands of these cars out there and the hobby is soft right now.
i don't get attached to things and find it easy to move on but that's me,some look at things differently.
A friend just sold a pro street '69 "to die for" Camaro.His explanation was "i've had it for six years,.time for something else"

I'd say if its not a safety issue fix the drivetrain and save the body work for a time when money and time is available.

I have to say I agree with the opinion that you'll look hard to find a car that is significantly better that what you have, and you KNOW what you have. The surprises will start all over with a different car.
Questions I ask my customers are; Do you have the passion for THIS car, to carry you through the surprises? Do you have the budget to accomplish what you desire?
If you are thinking of selling the car and getting your money back, forget it. Walk away now and promise yourself you'll never regret the decision. If you are building it because you love it and know you'll be satisfied with the result forever and perhaps it will build stronger relationships within your family, go for it. You can't put a price tag on those.
I can see that beyond the long term dreams you've had for this car you've also got quite an investment in parts and labor in the bank. As an unfinished project it has almost no value whatsoever, your losses now are 99%. The value will only rise after you've done a excellent job of finishing it. And even then you'll have to get 60% of what you spend by the enjoyment of owning it.

I hope mine looks that good when I get into it! Yea Right.

I would do the same as RRR said. One step at a time, and KEEP IT RUNNING. GET IT RUNNING ASAP.

And then its a notchback!!! Thats enough to keep it in my book.

Watch this everytime you think about your car, thats what I do:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juGNz1DJ4xw"]Farm-Find Rescue! Plymouth Duster Big-Block Swap - Roadkill Ep. 40 - YouTube[/ame]

take your time, have fun and keep it.... the next one you get cause of regret will be worse and you won't even know it.

Well the next steps to get the rear quarter glass out then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Good news! I hear those can be a challenge. Lots of pics and see if you can find the '68 service manual and the "Barracuda" update. I've read about it here before. Here's a quote from another Notchback thread about those windows.

"Originally Posted by RedFish
I have told other owners, "Don't remove the quarter window assemblies unless you absolutely have to".
They are a major challenge. Convertible isn't so bad
Even with my experience I'm not going to be much help. I will tell you what I've learned. If you don't want to cover all the sharp edges with duct tape, wear sleeved gloves. Don't want to bleed to death.
FIRST; Door hinges and door to body alignment. Get that perfect. Fully tighten all that hardware.
SECOND; Align vent window frame and door glass to body seals. Glass rolls easily.
( You may return for very minor adjustments here before you're done )
THIRD; Align quarter window to door glass seal and body seals.
The route you are taking, you would probably end up with door glasses in such a bind they wont roll up/down easily. Only option would be go into the quarter glass alignment again. Been there done that. Hope this helps"

Here's the thread, not much there but maybe he might have some tips??

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=322611

Good news! I hear those can be a challenge. Lots of pics and see if you can find the '68 service manual and the "Barracuda" update. I've read about it here before. Here's a quote from another Notchback thread about those windows.

"Originally Posted by RedFish
I have told other owners, "Don't remove the quarter window assemblies unless you absolutely have to".
They are a major challenge. Convertible isn't so bad
Even with my experience I'm not going to be much help. I will tell you what I've learned. If you don't want to cover all the sharp edges with duct tape, wear sleeved gloves. Don't want to bleed to death.
FIRST; Door hinges and door to body alignment. Get that perfect. Fully tighten all that hardware.
SECOND; Align vent window frame and door glass to body seals. Glass rolls easily.
( You may return for very minor adjustments here before you're done )
THIRD; Align quarter window to door glass seal and body seals.
The route you are taking, you would probably end up with door glasses in such a bind they wont roll up/down easily. Only option would be go into the quarter glass alignment again. Been there done that. Hope this helps"

Here's the thread, not much there but maybe he might have some tips??

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=322611

68' service manual is worthless in regards to quarter glass.
"1.place window midway
2. remove spring nuts
3. remove up stops
4. remove glass"

yeah right! It should say "break glass, only drive in summer"

The greatest pitfall We have as We grow up is our awareness of things
that just didn't matter as much when We were younger.We become perfectionists
about things that were secondary,or not even on our radar,back then.Partly because
We know so much more now,and partly because the values of our cars have made
them worthy of much better restos than they used to get.I have witnessed more
than a couple perfectionist projects stall because of $,time,or circumstance,and any
combination of these.
Rusty's right,one section at a time,but don't turn it into a two and a half
year rotisserie project,get that thing runnin' and driveable. I would concentrate on
all of the glass frame metalwork,and then trunk seal /door areas,and get them painted
/sealed so that you have a car again w/ the drivetrain in and worked out.
Then you can choose and pick-off the rest of the project one thing at a
time.I junked My 1st hotrod because I had just finished doing another car,and the
hard way.The parts weren't available to do the job the way We are blessed to be
able to now.But I street raced that thing relentlessly,cruised,and had the most fun
of My life in it,and it was far from perfect.THAT's what made it special,driving it.

Damn, you think that your car is bad??? Take a look at the pix i have on fabo of my piece o **** i am completely rebuilding, then look at yours again. A 67 slanty 6 notchback isnt very desireable except for parts that is. I decided i wanted it, and wanted to convert it to a V8 4 speed.

Wish i started out with a more solid and straighter car to begin with, however its all about the journey. I have had the car 8 years, actually started to dissassemble and start 5 years ago. Yeah i could pay more for a better body, but this ones mine. I have more time than money, so i do it myself. If you still have your car from high school, you are very lucky.

I wish i had my 68 charger i drove back in high school in 1987. I bought the car in 1984, and sold it in august 1987. Learned how to do basic mechanics on it, autobody, and paint. If i had it back i would tear it apart and redo it correctly this time. I bought my 67 cuda to try to bring back memories of a simpler time when i was a teenager working on my first car. I tried to find another 68 charger. Not paying $3,500 for a basket case charger. Diesel VIN, and all the other fuckwads in hollywierd just about ruined that for us regular folks.

I say keep it, rebuild it. Who cares about the cost going into it. I theow my reciepts away. I dont want to know. Its your first car, the memories outweigh the cost as far as i would be concerned if it was me.

Well time for an update. First, thank you all for your words of encouragement and honest opinions. After reading your responses, I guess I just needed a little push. This is now a restoration thread.

Thanks
Keith

So, let's pick up where we left off...

What I started with.

IMG_20150503_155026029_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150503_123920579.jpg

-
Back