When you're degreeing a cam and can't find your dial indicator extension rods

-

prorac1

Reaction score
When you can't get the dial indicator down to the lifter straight on, you bring the lifter up to the dial indicator. Lol.

We epoxied two old lifters top to top, drilled a divot in the top of the top one to put the dial indicator tip in.

Now that there is some hillybilly **** right there. Lol

Our previous results were gathered with the dial indicator on a slight angle, so I'd like to revarify our results with the new set up straight on.

Thank you for witnessing our debotchery. Lol.

Eric and Jason.

IMG_3499.JPG
IMG_3500.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG

Nice!

That’s called gettin it done, makin chit work while working with what ya have.

And now that I think about it, I’m going to copy that ****!

Nice!

That’s called gettin it done, makin chit work while working with what ya have.

On our last go round the dial indicator was on a slight angle. I'm not sure it threw us off. But I want to make sure before going any further and changing the bottom timing gear.

Everything has been fighting us lately, so we've gotten pretty good at schukin and jivin. Lol

I always like thinking out of the box. This is the perfect example. The only thing I see is the difficulty of doing it with a roller lifter.

Hell, I wish I'd have thought of it myself. But I was doing 50:1 roller cams to flat tappet stuff so I just used a pushrod.

ICL advertised at 108. We want to run it advanced 4 degrees at 104.

We had to start somewhere, so we put the bottom timing gear on in the 4 degrees advanced position.

We came up with 100.5 ICL.

We're going to recheck with the setup straight on and double check our results.

If we get the same results, we will retard it 4 degrees and it should come out perfect.

I always like thinking out of the box. This is the perfect example. The only thing I see is the difficulty of doing it with a roller lifter.

Hell, I wish I'd have thought of it myself. But I was doing 50:1 roller cams to flat tappet stuff so I just used a pushrod.

Yeah. Same here. I haven't done a hydraulic flat tappet in years.

And for Ford/GM we have a lobe lift tool. But not for the Chrysler lifter bore.

We didn't recheck it yet. We ran out of time. Hopefully this weekend

We didn't recheck it yet. We ran out of time. Hopefully this weekend
A guy has to do what he has to do. U may need to roll that engine bank up to the top position,if on an engine stand to help w/ the lifter movement of following the cam correctly . gravity.

A guy has to do what he has to do. U may need to roll that engine bank up to the top position,if on an engine stand to help w/ the lifter movement of following the cam correctly . gravity.

Yeah. Very good point. Up to this point I was just carefully holding my finger on it to keep it against the lobe.

Gravity.

Duh. Lol

That's pretty smart! Hilarious, but smart.

Yeah. Very good point. Up to this point I was just carefully holding my finger on it to keep it against the lobe.

Gravity.

Duh. Lol
been there done that ! A guys gotta do------------------------- !

We reconfirmed our findings with the "double lifter" tool and the dial indicator straight on the lifter.

As we figured, no difference. 100.5

So we readjusted the timing set for "straight up" and reset everything and checked again.

104 on the nose. Perfect!

Here are some pics from the first and second degreeing all mixed up. Lol

Now jason and Dad are VERY well versed in camshaft degreeing. Lol

Eric and Jason.

IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG

-
Back