Where O where to find a good chrome shop

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I tried and searched this subject with little good info,

so I need advice on where is a trust worthy recur one shop? The closer to Connecticut the better.

I need the grills and top fender lights on my 66 barracuda redone. Tail lamps too. A few other small items as well.

Please only give me the name and address of you have actually used the company. Let me know what your thoughts were as well.

Thanks-
Joe

I used Jon Wright's Custom Chrome Shop and was very pleased with the service and results. They're in Ohio and they aren't cheap, but they were very highly recommended on HAMB and I couldn't be happier with the results, and I didn't even do the top of the line chrome. The drawback is the only way to get an estimate is to send the parts to them to get the estimate, but they were very responsive and reasonable with me, even though I decided to only have part of my order done because I found an NOS emblem after I sent them mine. Check them out! Jon Wright's CustomChrome Plating, Graftton, Ohio

TriCity Chrome. Is in Tennessee, but don't have address at present. Really do nice work

Check with your Harley Davidson dealership. Those guys get a lot of chrome done and it has to be top quality and everything they have had done for me was very reasonable.

TriCity Chrome. Is in Tennessee, but don't have address at present. Really do nice work

I second Tricity at least for their rechrome of my Dart wagon rear bumper and bumper guards which is all I had done.

My uncle in Glastonbury has a couple Harleys & a 62 Corvette. He is happy with New England Chrome in East Hartford. He says you need to be specific about what you are looking for, IE, Driver quality, Show quality, etc. Like anything else, the amount of time on prep work & base work is going to affect outcome, longevity, and of course price.

Just Google "Chrome plating" in your area. I remembered a plating company that advertised in Minnesota and searched Google. There was a bunch of plating companies in the area that came up. Open your pocket book. Small parts are not cheap. Especially pitted pot metal parts. tmm

Cudachick1968 is on the right track but gave incorrect info. These pieces are diecast (a tin/zinc alloy) and are more difficult to plate than standard steel bumpers and brackets. Likely the reason for poster Armyofchuckness' perceived high plating cost. Diecast is simply more expensive to do than steel and requires more expertise for chrome to "stick" to it. So whoever you choose make sure they have experience with diecast specifically like the place Armyofchuckness used and recommended.

Cudachick1968 is on the right track but gave incorrect info. These pieces are diecast (a tin/zinc alloy) and are more difficult to plate than standard steel bumpers and brackets. Likely the reason for poster Armyofchuckness' perceived high plating cost. Diecast is simply more expensive to do than steel and requires more expertise for chrome to "stick" to it. So whoever you choose make sure they have experience with diecast specifically like the place Armyofchuckness used and recommended.

I said MOST.

My apologies cudachick1968 for not reading your post correctly. Certainly no offense intended.

My uncle in Glastonbury has a couple Harleys & a 62 Corvette. He is happy with New England Chrome in East Hartford. He says you need to be specific about what you are looking for, IE, Driver quality, Show quality, etc. Like anything else, the amount of time on prep work & base work is going to affect outcome, longevity, and of course price.

I have not done anything with New England Chrome but the reviews on line were not as good as I liked. Of course if you have a good experience you may tell 2 people and if you have a bad experience you tell at least 10. I like the fact they are right up the highway from me. There was a Hot Rod shop in Preston Connecticut that was a direct connection for local guys. They marked up for the time and energy associated with taking care of it but are now out of business. Also, that is good info on what your level of expectation is, that is kinda key... everybody wants a Cadillac but only want to pay for a Chevette. I'll make the run up there with my pieces next week and see what they say.

Hey Cuda Chick- The grilles in my 66 and the taillight and front signal marker lamp housings are all pot metal. Mines are in really good shape but once they strip them, who the heck knows what they will find in the base metal. Pin holes and layers. Pot metal is a very cheap way to produce a quick fancy shapes. The issue is not "why" did they use pot metal... the question is how did they last so long. These cars were never meant to still be here after 5 years let alone 50 years! Thank you for your input.

Advanced plating. The best of the best.
I've used Advanced Plating before with great results for air cleaners and door handles. My only regret was the length of time it takes.
I have no issues with being charged for good work. I delt with Tim Sullivan who was honest and fair.

What most people here do not know was I found an excellent set of 66' Barracuda grills about 12 years ago that needed no pit fixiing or repairs just the chrome was worn in the top edge from water drain off the hood. The chrome was grey in that area. So I sent them to a shop in Pittsburgh, PA (ElRamma, PA to be exact.)
The company name was CARS Chrome Plating and I met the man (Jeff Boyle) at Carlisle one year and had a long talk with him and felt very comfortable sending my grilles to him. Basically I sent him the $600.00 down and after 16 weeks ( 4 more than was quoted) he said they are done and made me send him postage returned paid box for shipment back and another check for $600.00. The grilles we done and painted too for my inconvenience. Weeks went by, plenty of phone calls and no grilles or tracking number return on return box. But my check had cleared 3 days after receipt so I know he got them. After a few weeks my phone calls went from busy or voicemail to disconnected phone line. I called the local Chamber of Commerce and was told they went out of business. I called the town hall and they said the company was shut down for illegal dumping of chemicals and the owner could not afford the clean up fees. I had a private investigator track down that he did not own the building and got the building owners name and number. I called the property owner and explained the situation and said I just wanted access for a few moments to get my grilles back. The owner told me "only if you pay his back rent of like $12,000.00 and the 1/2 million in clean up fees." Ah, NO!
So I found Jeff's home number and called him as I was going to make the 8 hour drive to Pittsburgh and visit Mr. Boyle. Next thing I get a letter from an attorney FedEx over nite who told me to "Ceased and Desist" or I would be arrested for Federal charges for state to state harassment. Trespassing and a few other things I had never even heard of.

Now you understand my needing a chrome company local I not only can visit but trust.

I realize I am not the only guy who had been taken or lost cash from mail type transaction, but with all said and done I lost a almost perfect set of grilles I cannot replace.
In hind sight, i would had sent my worst set for chroming them I was out only the cash and a bad set of grilles.

Sniffle, sniffle - snot bubble... I'm over it now. But if I ever find Mr. Jeff Boyle -we are going to have a nice little chat.

I had parts that were pretty rough and Pauls did a great job.
Mr. TOP ( and others)
Paul's Is one of the best from all the reviews and testimony on line and magazine articles and others.
If I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from New England chrome I will either use Paul's or Advanced.
Thank you.

Mr. TOP ( and others)
Paul's Is one of the best from all the reviews and testimony on line and magazine articles and others.
If I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from New England chrome I will either use Paul's or Advanced.
Thank you.

I had some stuff done at New England a few times since I work in town. I had no problems. Just went to drop off another batch only to find them closed apparently forever. Crap. Did you end-up using anyone you can recommend ? I also would be much more comfortable being able to deliver my stuff in-person, since in this case the stuff is NOT replaceable (1922 Reo Speedwagon) thanks

I had some stuff done at New England a few times since I work in town. I had no problems. Just went to drop off another batch only to find them closed apparently forever. Crap. Did you end-up using anyone you can recommend ? I also would be much more comfortable being able to deliver my stuff in-person, since in this case the stuff is NOT replaceable (1922 Reo Speedwagon) thanks

Dropped my messed up ,pot metal parts of at Pauls at Carlisle Chrysler. They wrote up the items and tagged them . Took my info and sent them to me when finished. Knew the cost as I remember ahead of time as I remember, been a while.

-
Back