Which Master Cylinder to use?

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
Just converted my 68 Barracuda to front 73+ disc brakes and keeping drums in the rear. When i bought the car it had drums all around, but a disc/drum master cylinder so I do not believe it will have a residual valve built into it. I want to use power brakes, so my question is, what master cylinder/booster do i get for this set up? do any come with RPVs built in? and then will the Proportioning Valve come before or after the factory distribution block(brake light switch)? thank you all in advance! still not sure what cam i will be using so that i can run power brakes so any advice on that too would be great. It is a 340 with x heads 10:1 and I am running a 4 speed

Order a factory replacement MC for 73-76 power disc brakes and you should be fine. The proportioning valve goes in the line to the rear brakes from the distribution block. I have seen people put it in the line between the MC small reservoir and the distribution block, but that's not how the factory did it. Anyway, here's a tip to save having to cut brake pipes and flare ends: just buy a short (12") length of generic straight pipe from the auto store, and bend it into a loop. Then you can put the proportioning valve at the end of the factory line without cutting it, and run the loop to the distribution block -- it will line right up.

ok so it goes after my distribution block, thanks! now what about the RPV? do any aftermarket master cylinders include them built in? I would ideally like that so i do not have to plumb one in.
Order a factory replacement MC for 73-76 power disc brakes and you should be fine. The proportioning valve goes in the line to the rear brakes from the distribution block. I have seen people put it in the line between the MC small reservoir and the distribution block, but that's not how the factory did it. Anyway, here's a tip to save having to cut brake pipes and flare ends: just buy a short (12") length of generic straight pipe from the auto store, and bend it into a loop. Then you can put the proportioning valve at the end of the factory line without cutting it, and run the loop to the distribution block -- it will line right up.

-
Back