Which steering gearbox is for me?

-

Frnknsteen

Reaction score
Ok, so I need a little help deciding something. I need to put a new manual steering box in my '67 Barracuda. I have rebuilt the whole front end and tried adjusting the steering box and I just can't get the slop out of it.

I've decided to replace my current manual steering gear with another manual one, but I'm really struggling with which one to go to. I've looked into the PST and the Firm Feel, but I can't seem to decide which one to pick or which ratio I would like best (24:1, 20:1, or 16:1) and have some questions.

The driving I do is mostly cruising country roads and occasionally like to get on it. I think I can live with the heavier wheel at slow speeds that I would see with a 16:1 box, but would really like to get the opinion of others on here on what they have and the type of driving they do.

So my questions to all of you that have replaced your steering boxes are:
1. Which ratio did you choose, what kind of driving do you do most, and how do you like it?
2. Is Firm Feel the only one that uses the factory case? I have Tri-Y headers and my current box fits nicely, but I don't know how an aftermarket case would fit. I don't want to have to start changing other things.
3. Am I correct in thinking that the Formula S cars came with the 16:1 ratio?

I'd appreciate any information you guys can offer to help me make up my mind.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’m tuned in, too, since i’m In the same position as you now. You talking MANUAL steering, not power, right?

Yes,... Manual. Thanks Clifft! I should have specified that. I'll go edit the original post to make that clear!

Thanks Again!

If it's a factory power box then it is the small diameter shaft. The later ones had a larger shaft. I found it out the hard way.

Seems to me when I ordered the suspension kit, we measured it and it was around an inch or so in diameter. I could be wrong though and would have to verify.

I'm more interested in which box and ratio to get. I can talk to the vendor and measure the shaft for them to make sure I get the right box.

I'm mainly asking what others have chosen, why they chose it, and how they like it.

20 - 1 is the way to go. 16 - 1 is a bit tough to live with for a cruiser. And I don't know of any Formula S cars that came with a 16 - 1. The one I drove and wrenched on, a 68 383 S definitely did not have one; nor would you want one with the additional weight in the front of the car. 16-1 might be ok once the car is rolling, but once you're stopped it can be a bear to turn. And that might get old after a while.

Thanks Air Grabber. That's what I was wondering. Are you speaking from experience? Which one are you running?

Having owned cars with all 3 ratios, I prefer to drive the 20:1. The quick ratio 16:1 is really fun...for a while. If you're out for long drives it gets tiresome. After driving the 20:1 and 16:1 I would never go back to stock 24:1.

1. Which ratio did you choose, what kind of driving do you do most, and how do you like it?
I used a 20:1 worm in my original box until I bought one with 16:1 worm. For slaloms, less turning of the steering wheel makes it easier to keep on top of the situation.
2. Is Firm Feel the only one that uses the factory case?
I would guess that steer and gear as well as most others use a factory case; Just not Borgesen or Flaming River.
3. Am I correct in thinking that the Formula S cars came with the 16:1 ratio?
Listed as a seperate option (see for example: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Barracuda0016.jpg)

I have Tri-Y headers and my current box fits nicely, but I don't know how an aftermarket case would fit. I don't want to have to start changing other things.
The amount of force required to move the steering wheel will depend on weight, tire width, road surface, caster and speed. Low speed (parallel parking), high caster, wide tires, heavy front will all require more muscle effort. So if you have a big block with +3 caster and 245/50r17 and need to parallel park, you'll need to be in good shape to be OK with the 16:1. A basically stock setup, small block or slant, +1.5 caster or less, you'll notice the effort parking but your petite gf may not like it unless she works out.

Another vote for 20:1 I completely rebuilt my front end and the steering box was the only weak link left. I went with the FF box that someone else had rebuilt. My car is a weekend cruiser with some spirited driving down the highway each time out. No AutoX or Gymkhana style driving. I noticed a little more resistance in parking lots but not anything horrible but lock to lock is quicker and response when quickly changing lanes is much better. I also installed the Hellwig hollow front sway bar on the front at the same time. Compared to the stock front end is night vs. day.

Another vote for 20:1 I completely rebuilt my front end and the steering box was the only weak link left. I went with the FF box that someone else had rebuilt. My car is a weekend cruiser with some spirited driving down the highway each time out. No AutoX or Gymkhana style driving. I noticed a little more resistance in parking lots but not anything horrible but lock to lock is quicker and response when quickly changing lanes is much better. I also installed the Hellwig hollow front sway bar on the front at the same time. Compared to the stock front end is night vs. day.
Did you have a stock sway bar prior to installing the Hellwig hollow, you didn’t specify if you added it or replaced it.

No sway bar prior to the front end rebuild. I also added stiffening plates to the lower control arms.

I have a 66 Barracuda with the factory optional 16:1 ratio manual steering. Personally I don't like the heavy effort for slow speed driving...almost uncomfortable, but it is nice at highway speeds. Given a choice, I'd probably head to a 20:1 as a good alternative.
The 16:1 was optional on Barracudas beginning in 1965.

-
Back