Who races w/OE Magnum short blocks

-
IIRC, the Magnum rod and slug combo uses a smaller wrist pin. This is correct?

I have had a passing thought of a simple slug, ring swap and go. There was a thread on that thought a while back.
Most of the aftermarket pistons advertise the same wrist pin size for both 360 LA and 5.9 Magnum

The pin is the same diameter. The stock magnum rod is narrower on the small end than the the old rods.
IIRC, the Magnum rod and slug combo uses a smaller wrist pin. This is correct?

I have had a passing thought of a simple slug, ring swap and go. There was a thread on that thought a while back.

I twist mine to 6,000 rpm. Has been the best of 7.47 in the 1/8th at 90 MPH. That is in my street driven 71 Dart. All steel full interior. Car weighs 3,400 lbs with me in it. Stock magnum junkyard shortblock except cam. With cheap summit headers, RPM Air gap and Holley 750 DP.

That's 11.70's. Nice!!

What heads?
What trans and converter?
What gear?
What cam?

Any pics??

LOL! I hope it’s stock heads and rotating assembly!!!

Yea man! He tried the M1 - RPM swap.

That's 11.70's. Nice!!

What heads?
What trans and converter?
What gear?
What cam?

Any pics??
EQ heads from Magnum Mopar, 904 trans with an Ultimate 3,800 converter. That pass was with 3.91 gears. I have now switched to a Dana 60 with 3.54 gears so we'll see how much that slows me down.

Cam is 230/236 @ .50 with .50 .507/.513 lift.

Interesting thread, Rumble. And, all that commented. I've owned (and still own) a few magnums, of course they are what came in the vehicles.
I have always run the LA's in my older stuff just because it's what I had (have), but I plan on doing something with mags in the near future. In fact, I have a 5.2 mag on the stand now. I also have a RPM air gap I bought for a magnum. I have two cams right now, one is the factory MP crate 300 horse cam (has fuel pump snout), and the other is a roller from a '89 360 LA (also has fuel pump snout).
We'll see where it goes......

Thanks. I have a long block that I am second guessing selling the RPM intake that was on top.

I was thinking I could use the Magnum block for a stroker foundation. It actually will depend on how the other blocks sonic check.

Mopar MaFia is a FB group that is run by a guy from Georgia who runs magnum blocks in his pavement stock car.

Glad to see the good results. I'm working on another stock shortblock Magnum swap right now....

I’m about to yank a 5.9 now. Fair weather permitting.
I know it’s been said before, but I don’t remember what lift people are getting away with. Or! With retainer to guide clearance mods done, how much more is available.

On the stock heads I am working on, the exhaust is a measly .575 total clearance (they say it varies). Intake side is better but still crap. That means no greater than a .515 in theory. In practice, the Magnums lose a bit of lift due to the goofy pushrod angle, say 3%, but its best not to gamble too much with dropping a valve through the motor.

The aftermarket heads have significantly more clearance, and its sort of a given that the stock heads all crack (though miraculously, the ones on my current motor are not), plus they're pretty cheap for Mopar heads, so its probably best to just plan on buying some. I believe as much as .575 can be had, but it could be more with like the EQs.

I've had four sets of Magnum heads in my shop...not one was cracked.

How about these? LA rockers on Magnum heads...
IMG_1520755609163.jpg

BTTT!

Still wondering if anybody is raving the stock rotating assembly on 5.9 Magnum engines.

I've got a stock stroke 5.9 in my '70 dart. It weighed 3305 pounds without me on race day. It's a 5.9 .030 over KB107 pistons. Hughes EQ 2.02 heads, Hughes 218/222 @.050 .539/.549 lift hydraulic roller cam, RPM intake, street demon carb, stock mopar electronic distributor, 727 with a shift kit and 2800 stall, 3.55 gears. I made 3 passes with a best of 12.88@103 mph. Got kicked out for not having a helmet! Carb had been messed with but not perfectly dialed in and timing was 32 all in. Running 91 pump gas. There might be some more power with better tuning.

The engine is torn apart right now. I have some Hughes prepped edelbrock heads and a 234/236@.050 571/.576 lift cam to put in it.
imagejpeg_04271.jpg

-
Back