Wiley's Revenge.

-
I love the build, There's something about those 2 door post Valiants that get under your skin.......

I love the build, There's something about those 2 door post Valiants that get under your skin.......

I gotta be honest, I wasn't thrilled about the grille on it at first. For some weird reason it reminded me of an old Ford Cortina. No idea why. I have long since changed my opinion on it and really like it now.

If it isn't obvious by now, I really try to plan out a project as much as possible before I even turn wrench one on it. I really hate getting into something and having it sit while I wait for obscure part from Sug's Speed Shop, or because I didn't get the right Turbo-Encabulator. You know there is gonna be down time, but I try to make it as minimal as possible.

very nice rev, is that a large u joint yoke on that 8 3/4?

very nice rev, is that a large u joint yoke on that 8 3/4?

OK, I know this is gonna sound retarded, but I hadn't even checked that. It's a super sweet 489 pig with a 3.55 Sure Grip. The housing is built out of a C body unit. The whole thing was put together for my by John at J&S Gear in Huntington Beach. I strongly recommend him for any diff work. He is good people and will always deal straight with you.

Nice,Rev. Not cheap,for good diff setup.

No kidding there. I only want to do this once, so I'm trying to use my head, abilities and resources wisely.

In the meantime, THIS has been keeping my skills and patience in good working order.

Attachments

• IMAG0142.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMAG0148.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 321
So, yeah, it's been a bit of time. I've had so many other things going on. Career change, putting a truck together for the Mrs. to bomb around in that gets decent mileage. Two engines and one tranny swap in the beater GMC. The Jeep grenading the carrier in the rear diff.....

My wallet feels like a ketchup pack that got stomped on.

Had a friend make up some decals and got around to putting one on.....

Attachments

• IMAG0959.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMAG0960.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 296
So, while the engine seems to be on a long term hold. I decided to do a little upgrade. (OK, the radiator blowing it's top off like an ex wife with a bounced alimony check kinda pushed the whole deal)....

View attachment IMAG1052.jpg

A little grinding

View attachment IMAG1053.jpg

Aggressive use of a $4.00 Harbor Freight spot weld cutter....

View attachment IMAG1056.jpg

And suddenly your core support gets a very airy appearance.

See where this is going? I got this from Dillinger when he was up and running. I sure hope things go well for him and he can get back to it if he wants.

Doing some mocking up....

Starting on burning it in. I never said I was a good welder, but I'm getting my practice in.....

Yeah, it's beginning to look like a car again.

All I gotta do is fix the ugly at the bottom. I'm making these extensions out of scrap stuff that I had lying around.

Cool.............That Coyote decal is great. Before my friend that would later be become the original owner of my 70 440-6 70 RR, he had a hot little 350 65 Chevelle, with a "Bee-beep your ***" Coyote sticker on the vent windows. This worked "OK" until one evening he looked over and it said "hemi" over there LOL

Been a while since I checked in, looking good! Whats the custom core support for??(just wondering)
Love the decal as well.
Keep up the good work! Thats looks like a buttload of fun to work on....lucky Cali guys...:banghead:

OK, so how many months does it take to mount a radiator?
It depends on how many ribs you broke at work.........

Anyhow, got it mounted up. I have to trim the hood brace to clear the radiator cap. I thought I was good in the mock up, but these things happen. The Champion radiator has a very square corner on the drivers bottom. If it was a bit rounder, or angled, I could've mounted the radiator a touch lower. I didn't trim the brace down when I installed it, so this is as low as the brace could go, and frankly, as low as I wanted it.

Attachments

• IMAG1134.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMAG1135.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 179
OK, so it's all back together. Not sure if that 3 core 26" aluminum radiator is gonna keep my /5 cool, but the new brace and radiator don't show too bad......

View attachment IMAG1158.jpg

Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture.

So, um, like, it's been awhile.....
Been doing things, like...
Marrying off my oldest
SDP_6818.jpg

Playing with guns...
IMAG1357.jpg

Oh, and a couple of weeks ago, I picked up this......
20170324_182202.jpg

It's a 95 with a 318 and a 42rh. The guy lives across the street from a good friend of mine who tipped me off that it had suffered some rapid deceleration trauma. I picked it up cheap.

The stroker motor, which has kind of been languishing in limbo, is on hold. The current plan, the one that gets the ok from the missus because she doesn't want a wreck in the driveway any longer than it takes me to strip it, is to put the engine and trans in the Valiant. Yeah, I'm gonna keep the fuel injection, too.

Progress! (?)
The donor wreck came with a pair of Procar seats. Of course, nothing is easy, though. The PO welded the original Dakota bucket seat tracks to the seat frames.....
20170324_182218.jpg

So, I had to cut those tracks off and pick up the correct hardware from Summit.
The install was pretty uneventful and straight forward.
20170421_152541.jpg

So far, including the whole truck and the seat sliders/brackets, I'm just a hundred and some over what I had squirreled away to reupholster the bench seat bottom I had got from Crackedback and my original seat backs. (Rob, my friend, I can get that seat back to you if ya want it).
I'm still working on getting the driveline out...
20170423_131358.jpg

-
Back