Will Trick Flow Heads work on a B block 400

-
Yes there designed for a 400 and 440 bore
a 383 would need to be notch from what I understand unless maybe you bore it .060" cause it would be .010" under stock 440 bore.

The main difference running it on a 400 is your gonna have to spin it higher probably 600 rpms over similar built 440.

Have to respectfully disagree! I have them on my .030 over 383 right now! Bolted right on

I remember you were gonna try it I'm glad i was wrong heard they weren't for the 383.

I remember you were gonna try it I'm glad i was wrong heard they weren't for the 383.
I had Iq52 check em out and try them on the 383 bore before hand and was told they are good for approx .700 lift before valve interference with walls

I had Iq52 check em out and try them on the 383 bore before hand and was told they are good for approx .700 lift before valve interference with walls
op might use flattop piston? what kind of clearance with the trickflow, with the comp 294 and no cut in pistons

It's doing pretty good for a stock bottom end.

It's running 11.60's

That is a beautiful thing Dam Dam Dam That is a bad *** video, i take it you are the green dart, i am now using a 400 block,with 383 steel crank do you know what compression i should shoot for or pistons i should use ,can i use the stock 400 rods i am going to order the trick flows, Your car is a stock bottom end ? what gears?

I'm glad to see somebody is using my hard earned information. Seems to me feedback is hard to get.

They look like nice built heads with good porting

Fit on there just fine and make a ton of power if you put a big cam in there and twist the tail past 7000 rpm. Here is video of a 400 block with TF heads making 720 hp on the dyno. This engine is running on unleaded premium pump gas.

Oh sure, big cam, 7,000 rpm, 470 ci = big power.

But what if you have 400 ci, low compression, a .430" lift cam and 5,200 rpm? Surely that 270+ cfm at .400" lift with those heads will send that lowly 400 into convulsions and it will just shut itself off and make no power over the stock head.

Right?

I mean, way more head than the camshaft can handle. Useless!

Waste of money and time. That 400 needs smaller port heads! Maybe a conversion to install X or J heads on the 400 big block.

Bwaaaah, ha, ha, ha, ha..............!

Sorry, it's 5:30 AM here and I should be at the lathe working on the cam journal sleeve.

Good morning all!
Jim

But what if you have 400 ci, low compression, a .430" lift cam and 5,200 rpm? Surely that 270+ cfm at .400" lift with those heads will send that lowly 400 into convulsions and it will just shut itself off and make no power over the stock head.

Right?

Waste of money and time. That 400 needs smaller port heads! Maybe a conversion to install X or J heads on the 400 big block.

Sorry, it's 5:30 AM here and I should be at the lathe working on the cam journal sleeve.

Good morning all!
Jim

I thought that only applies to 273's and 318's? ;-)

Fit on there just fine and make a ton of power if you put a big cam in there and twist the tail past 7000 rpm. Here is video of a 400 block with TF heads making 720 hp on the dyno. This engine is running on unleaded premium pump gas.

is that a stroker

Right?

Good morning all!
Jim

Lol

There is a comp cam shootout where they test the XE line to see how much you gain with each step and how it effects idle and vacuum. (I get its basically a Comercial and where they don't change cr with each cam I get its gonna favor the smaller cams a bit.)
Still it valuable info most of us can't get anywhere.

The test engine was a chevy 383 with pretty good head to give the bigger cams something to work with. They were surprised that the 250 cam hit one hp per cid and the 2nd cam in the line the 256 hit 400 hp. I forget what overall out come was with the 296 probably 500 plus.

Big heads with smaller cam can get you a more streetable package even though your leaving a lot of power on the table. Seems to be the way automotive industry likes to make power LS new hemis. Not saying run 600 plus hp heads with a super small cam but seems like everyone has scared themselves with velocity talk that they strangle there engines.

318 engines are a perfect example of where most advise caution but that's fine if your goal is 300 hp and under but otherwise your gonna have to bolting on good flow heads if you want any real power.

I've noticed that the 2 hp per cfm rule doesn't seem to apply to most engines.
I'm guessing it's a race engine rule of thumb where your run 300 plus duration and 14:1 plus cr. But I have noticed that there's like a 1.8 hp per cfm rule with 285 ish cams and 10:1 ish cr I'm sure you could generalize it even more and knock off 0.1 for every 10 degress less cam.

I guess my ramble just saying there's more than one way to reach your hp goals. Might be a little better to add a bit more cfm and a little bit less cam for more streetable package. Example instead of the usual xe285h cam and 220 cfm heads for 400 hp maybe 250 cfm heads with a xe268h cam.

is that a stroker
Yes it is a 470 inch stroker but that doesn't really matter much. You can make the same horsepower with a 400, you just have to spin it higher. Torque is a different animal, typically torque and displacement are more closely related.

-
Back