windshield wiper removal

-

chrgdrt

Reaction score
All right guys what's the secret to removing the windshield wiper arms. this is on a 64 dart. I removed the nut on the end but the arms won't budge. Sprayed a little wd-40 and tried prying upward with a 3/8" open end wrench but no luck. Am I missing something or do I just cut them off?

Help!
thanks,
Gary

They fit on a grooved shaft that's probably seized with corrosion. You'll need something stronger than WD-40. Maybe PB Blaster Penetrating catalyst. You can also try applying upward pressure on two sides of the shaft while tapping on the shaft LIGHTLY with a hammer to knock things loose. Mine were a pain to get off when I did my restoration, but it should just be the nut holding them on.

Use some sort of lever on opposite sides and make sure you place something flat and solid over paint to protect it.
There is a tang that needs to be pulled back as well (I believe early cars had this ) before prying.
There actually is a specific tool for removing arms.

it is a small sheet metal spring . maybe 1/16" wide... hard to see sometimes... use a hooked pick or a paperclip if you dont have a pick set.

Thanks for the link, that help give me some more ideas
I'll try some pb blaster. I hate to buy the tool just to remove 2 wiper arms, they're not going back on, I may have a battery post puller that looks like it might help. I'll look again for the tang.

battery puller wont work because there is no hole on the top of the wiper base.
you might be able to use a set of snap ring pliers if you have some.
The wiper housing needs to be pushed away from the cowl....

actually there is, the post goes thru the wiper arm

IMG_1646.JPG

Please don't use a cut off wheel. Replacing that shaft without pulling your whole dashboard is going to be a huge PITA. I think the reason it doesn't have a tang on it is because the nut does the job. The ones without the nut are the ones with the tang.

in that case a battery puller should work.
I am not that familiar with 1st gen A-bodies....

Just kidding about the cut-off wheel... heater core and wiper motor are coming out anyways.. besides I wouldn't cut the shaft I would cut 2 sections out of the arm knuckle then it would just fall off!

Only older cars I have owned were a 65 Coronet 500 and a 59 Crown Imperial Coupe. I know the Coronet didnt have a bolt... Dont recall on the 59..

Come to that, though, I should mention: the up-to-'64 arms with the bolt-on attachment have been N/A for years, and the springs in them do go flabby and eventually useless for keeping the blade pressed firmly against the glass for a clear wipe.

My preferred fix: get two Anco № 41-03 universal replacement wiper arms. They're fully adjustable for correct length and blade angle, and are really well made with good, strong springs. They also come with nicely-designed adaptors to fit on the pre-1965 screw-down wiper shafts. I had worried they'd be ugly, but really, they look just fine and work well. There's also probably enough room to go to 14" or even 15" blades rather than the original 13s if you adjust the arm length and angle strategically.

(Then you remove and install them just like factory '65-up arms, by lifting the base up at its very end; the special tool makes removal easy, but you can use a rag and two screwdrivers if you're careful.)

-
Back