Wiper motor linkage mounting

-

crewchief

A & P Mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My drive link fell off of the motor shaft, apparently, the nut backed off and the linkage dropped.

I can barely see up under the dash and not even going to be able to reach up there. I’m not a contortionist which I think it would take to do it from the dash side.

Is it possible to remove the motor from the firewall and reattach the linkage from there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows any other way, PLEASE let me know.

Ive never seen it done that way but might be worth a shot.
I have buckets and always remove ds seat if I need under the dash. WAAY easier.

When I found this issue, the interior was out and I could look up there but could not in anyway reach up there. During factory assembly the dash must have been out. Damn tiny cars or perhaps I'm much larger and older now.

I have went through climate controller window to service wiper linkage. Best to first disconnect neg' battery cable or seperate service disconnect at fusible link before working in/under the dash.
Be certain the wiper motor and the pitman linkage is oriented at park position or just remove those arms/blades. I saw a fellow worker do this wrong once. At switch on the wiper blades clawed fresh paint off a hood, AMC Hornet if my memory serves. Anyway...
Pull the glove box liner, reach in a remove the climate controller mounting hardware.

I'll give it a shot after the summer is over, don't want to attempt it during "drive time". It never sees rain anymore anyway. Thanks

-
Back