WIW? Wood rimblow wheel core.

-

A38Valiant

Collector Of Rust
Reaction score
I have a wood rimblow wheel from a 71 Swinger. Wheel is rough, and would need to be sent out for a full restoration. No center cap. Metal spokes are decent, but the "wood" and backside plastic are both badly cracked, and the horn strip is hanging in shreds. I know that there are places to get these restored, but was just wondering what a "core" wheel is worth. Also, the adapter "can".

Hey Will, I sold a rimblow wheel assembly from a 71 Dart a while back for $125.00 in roughly the condition you speak of. Mine had a broken horn center with a hardware store button just cut through the rubber, the steering wheel was maybe in a little better shape than what you are describng although the chrome "ribbon" was in bad shape and I included the can. Just for reference, and prices may have changed since then, but I would think $75-100 for the wheel and at least $50.00 for the can!!

Did the Valaints sell yet?? Should we start calling you A100VanMan yet??? Geof

list it on Moparts under E body parts for sale. I bet you can get $250 for it there.

Hey Will, I sold a rimblow wheel assembly from a 71 Dart a while back for $125.00 in roughly the condition you speak of. Mine had a broken horn center with a hardware store button just cut through the rubber, the steering wheel was maybe in a little better shape than what you are describng although the chrome "ribbon" was in bad shape and I included the can. Just for reference, and prices may have changed since then, but I would think $75-100 for the wheel and at least $50.00 for the can!!

Did the Valaints sell yet?? Should we start calling you A100VanMan yet??? Geof
Hey there Geof! Still have the Valiants. Everybody is PMing me about parts from them, but that's not gonna happen. It's all or nothing on those, and if I sell them, it will be along with the rest of the four-door herd. And there ain't a name change coming, either. I picked up a few more projects,:eek:ops: a 71 Polara that is 100 percent rust free and a 71 Swinger that has been a drag car since 76. And the Swinger came with a parts car. Oh, and then there's the 28 Dodge that I keep forgetting I own 'cause I haven't brought it home yet. I need forty acres!

Hey Will, that "thinning the herd" is not easy is it?? And what is this??... a 28 Dodge that you keep forgetting you own??!!! Now thats some funny stuff!! Yep, I'm picturing your herd growing everyday and thinking the same thing as you...40 acres just ain't enough!!!

By the way, I loved your thread showing all of the parts you have and the great captions under them, it was a really fun read!!! Good luck with the sale of the Valiants, and congrats on the new arrivals, you got your hands full now!!! Geof

Well Geof, the 28 Dodge kinda happened by accident. An older gentleman came to me about 10 years ago for some pickup parts, and has made random appearances here ever since. I came to learn that he lives alone in the house he was born in, never married, one sister who lives a few hours away. This guy is what you might call a hermit. Has no phone, and doesn't even get mail at his house. Has everything sent to his sister's address, then goes every few weeks to get his mail from her. He had never mentioned where he lives.

On one occasion about three years ago, he made one of his random appearances in my shop. Pretty sure he just drops by for company, but anyway, we sat around making small talk. I mentioned that I would really like to find a good project for a street rod. And, to my surprise, he said "I have a car that you could use, a 28 Dodge. Yours if you want it. Ain't worth nuthin, come and get it."

He told me where he lives. I dropped by one evening, and he led me up into a woods behind his house. There sat a rusty old 28 Dodge sedan, complete except the hood and one fender. He told me that he could kinda remember the car being complete and sitting down in his driveway when he was a kid. Told me that he has a picture of him and his sister standing by it when he was only two or three. I asked if he was sure he wanted to part with it, and he said he was never going to do anything with it. I asked if there was any hurry on getting it outta there. He said "Naa, been sittin right there for mosta my life, aint gonna hurt it to sit a while longer."

So, I keep telling myself that as soon as I get room, I'll bring it home. And he keeps telling me that it's mine whenever I want it, but there's no hurry on his end. So since it's outta sight, it's outta mind, and I keep forgetting about it.

-
Back