Worst Job Yet

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
Wow what a miserable job this was. The next house I own will have a hoist. If any one gets the bright idea to save some money and rent a hot water pressure washer for under their car I have a few warnings. You will have a real bad day with all the 40 year old crud falling in your face. Laying in the hose will land you in the burn ward. Your hair will never be the same. At any rate most of the factory color was still under all that grease and to my suprise it is almost rust free on the bottom. It does have a few nice holes some one drilled in the floor pan foe some reason or another over the years? The work never ends. I did get my R4 red Glasurit paint today. I don't remember it being $375 a gallon!!!!

IMG_0203.jpg

At least you have concrete under the car. ;)

Try doing the work on a dirt driveway.

When I pulled my engine, the engine hoist sunk in the ground, :|
I had to push the car, by hand all alone,
rather than pull the engine hoist away from the car. :(

ce44.jpg

Wow what a miserable job this was. The next house I own will have a hoist. If any one gets the bright idea to save some money and rent a hot water pressure washer for under their car I have a few warnings. You will have a real bad day with all the 40 year old crud falling in your face. Laying in the hose will land you in the burn ward. Your hair will never be the same. At any rate most of the factory color was still under all that grease and to my suprise it is almost rust free on the bottom. It does have a few nice holes some one drilled in the floor pan foe some reason or another over the years? The work never ends. I did get my R4 red Glasurit paint today. I don't remember it being $375 a gallon!!!!

I remember pulling the engine out of my duster in the gavel driveway when I was a kid. It sucked. I also remember dropping the 727 on my chest and finding out the creeper didn't role in the gravel either. Lots of fun.

I think I've just about done it ALL!!
The way I usually would Wash the bottom of cars is one of two ways...
1.Jack car up on ONE SIDE as far as possible without tipping over and BLOCK IT!Then when your done with that side do the other side...
2.Put it on an Open Center Car Trailer...Either Jack the trailer up on BLOCK(Jack Stands)or Put on Blocks etc...Then you can roll around under it...

ANOTHER Pointer(especially if you're going to repaint as you are.)is to spray Engine Degreaser on it and let set...ALSO Oven cleaner But Make sure to to wear a mask and take breaks between cans..The Fumes are Horrible..The Dollar General or Cut Rate store has the Generic brand for $1 on Oven Cleaner..It Works VERY Well....

SS:burnout:

I have never enjoyed transmission pan work. Evn with a plug, the stuff will get everywhere. Differential work, pulling the 3rd member on your back..that is fun too, or hoisting the motor only to find the load leveler doesnt allow the motor to clear the radiator support! One of those electric cable hoists mouted to a reinforced beam in the garage is looking pretty nice right now.

I took my 69 Dart to a local Detail Shop and had them do it. Cost me $80. My car was undercoated years ago so I don't get to see any paint, but then my floors are solid.

Haha Wish I would have thought of that. It cost me more to rent the hot water pressure washer.

-
Back