you know your stupid when

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok I take my half blind wife cindy to Kingston Ontario today about 50 miles away to an appointment for an eye check up.On the way there in our old 99 sunfire when the temp goes a tab past what i like to see no over heating yet.So we get there ok,after 2 hours I check the coolant well maybe add a little water,now here is were i am STUPID,I forgot to put the cap back on the plastic tank drove home no problims untill I pull off the highway than starts to steem up and heat up to the point it reads in the red.Got it home let it cool a bit went around the block dam back to reading in the red again.Ok off to a shop I trust it had it toad there, cools down service manager say its fine.I am waiting for my buddy to call tonight to tell me what he did or not did.I dont understand why it would heat up and now be fine.Sorry this is long but I feel very STUPID right now.#-o

Those caps are garbage. I opened my daughters up once to check the coolant level, and could never get it to seal again. I just bought a new cap, and no more worriessss.

Ok but why would it heat up like that and than be fine.I havent got to the shop to get it yet.Could it be it lost all its pressure so the boiling point went up.

You better hope its in fact just fine--no damage done. Maybe-maybe not. I say drive it for a few days and if no problems--like losing coolant cause the head or intake gasket is seeping-- then celebrate. These newer motors can not be abused as much.

From now on when removing something like a rad cap-place it where you can easily see it. Better yet where you can not miss it--like on your drivers seat-if you sat on it you would know it.--ha ha.

Good chance everything be ok but I seen how problems can grow.

You better hope its in fact just fine--no damage done. Maybe-maybe not. I say drive it for a few days and if no problems--like losing coolant cause the head or intake gasket is seeping-- then celebrate. These newer motors can not be abused as much.

From now on when removing something like a rad cap-place it where you can easily see it. Better yet where you can not miss it--like on your drivers seat-if you sat on it you would know it.--ha ha.

You got that right next time my smart hat will be on.I know more tomorrow .Thanksssss

Mine's overheated to the point it pings at idle and dies... Twice. Plus the two "leaving the radiator cap lose or off" deals. And this is the Neon which is prone to issues. (It had the updated gasket instaleld years ago). Fill it, bleed it, and it will more than liekly be fine. These new fangled engines are TOUGH to kill.

These new engines need to be burped like a baby when they loose fluid or when they want them flushed..
Fill the radiator up and drive it up hill and down hill then side ways
They use a tall tank that looks like a tall funnel to refill water in some of the new cars
I have stayed at work during lunch to watch two cars getting filled while the tec's was at lunch. fill it then drive then fill again till the level stays topped off.

boiling point goes down if pressure goes down...each pound of pressure increases the boiling point 3-5 degrees. Have them pressure test the system, check the primary and auxiliary fans and relays.

My fans dont work and havent for years...lol. Hence the boiling over a few times. I start talking and foget it's running...lol. The worst part is for two years I've had an electric fan unit, plus wires an relay to set it up "stand alone" and I never take the time for it...lol.

Yup thats what i do.......only i lay it on the hood latch. when your done under the hood, you should look around before you slam it!!!

After you brake a couple caps, you get better at looking around:cheers:

-
Back