Your help with a 6.1 cooling system in a 1971 Duster

-

JBrian

Reaction score
As my 1971 Duster project moves forward, I am looking for some input into the cooling system. As the car is on the rotisserie, I’m going to open up the core support to accept a 26” radiator; so here is my current thinking for a cooling system for this setup:

Champion radiator: CC1643
Champion fan shroud FS374
The shroud accepts two 12” electric fans; what fan to use that the MegaSquirt can control or a Ron Francis XP-777 wiring harness with a delayed cooling system shutdown kit CD-36.

Any recommendations on the radiator, shroud or 12” fans?

As I said, I’ll be going with the MegaSquirt MS3 and a F&B 85MM cable operated throttle body from EFI source. The motor will be cleaned up, new rings opened up and bearings with a Frank Racing 219/227 @ .050 camshaft and springs with the mandatory TTI headers and exhaust backed by an 833 overdrive 4-speed.

I’ve been getting guidance from Wade (uncoog1) and Alex (AlexP) as they have both been involved with my build. The rest of the car will have Borgeson P/S, US Car Tool chassis Stiffening kit, all new suspension components, 4-wheel manual big bolt discs, 11.7” with Viper calipers, 16” steel wheels with poverty caps and A/C.

The goal is to drive and handle like modern muscle/pony car while looking like a stock 71 Duster 340, Alpine White, matt black 340 stripes, V24 blackout hood, cowl, fender, door tops with 340 WEDGE callout, black/charcoal bucket seats, etc.

I live in Texas, it’s hot in the summer and I’m building a driver/show car that my wife and I can drive with the A/C in heavy traffic in August when it’s 100 degrees or cruise down the freeway at 75Mph;

Overheating is not an option!

That should be more than enough cooling. The stock 6.1 radiator is only single and measures about 450 square inches, while the radiator you're putting in measures about 415 square inches but is three core.

The Champion radiator is supposed to cool 650 HP, you're motor will probably only make 500 HP, so you are well within design parameters. I've seen people run stock 340 radiators which are much smaller with 6.1L Hemis without problem.

Cruising down the freeway isn't a problem, there is so much airflow at 75 MPH that you don't even need a fan. The real concern is stop and go traffic. Given your two fans it should work fine.

However, you might want to run Champions 16" single fan. It moves more air than two 12" fans and is cheaper. More and cheaper what's not to love?

Recommend talking to Champion regarding air flow. The AC condenser adds quite an air flow restriction and can affect the design of the whole system, however opening up the rad support for a 26" rad was a good idea.

-
Back