Zac_F71's 71 Demon

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Decided to make a resto/build thread for my Demon-

The history - OR state car built in the LA plant - was drove from OR to Hudson WI in the early 90's (lived 4 blocks from the car) 225/904/ 7.25 rear- bare bones car- no power options

My Uncle bought it with 6x,*** miles for $800, then didn't like it after putting electronic ignition, bucket seats, and a couple other little things in it

A few people came to look at the car and apparently thought $800 was to much- my Dad ended up buying out from under some guy that was on his way with cash for the car LOL

So the car served as daily driver/back up car all through the early 90's was even driven in the winter haha. We had moved and the car was kinda pushed aside til about 97/98 when My Dad had started teaching me how to drive in it- I probably put 1,000 miles on it around my yard and up at my Uncles (same uncle we bought it from).

2000 we move into our first house and it sits for about 2 1/2 - 3 years til I get my license and it became my first car and my first project car, did a full tune up and sourced a black dash pad from Mopars in the Park and converted the whole interior to black with Duplicolor fabric paint - it actually turned out great.

About 2005-6 I was at a friends house and let another friend take to a gas station - came back and said the brakes were gone LOL so I had to drive it home about 25 minutes with no brakes and it sat parked for a year or so- got up some extra cash to get it back on the road and bought all new brakes- everything was new and put a offy 4bbl and Hooker header on the 6 got it running with it hen came time for the 7.25 rear- which was the cars demise- had a friend try to rebuild it and couldn't so I sourced a 7.5 on ebay for $150 shipped and stuck it under it to get it back on the ground

Well it has sat since- 2 years in a storage garage now moved to MN and starting on it once again

The plan is to get it going over this summer/winter doing the following-

Front disc swap w/ 9" drum spindles- one off custom hubs w/ BBP and caliper conversion brackets from Scarebird Classic brakes, 87 D150 truck master

It uses- Chevy Celebrity calipers/pads, Caddi Eldorado soft lines, toyota Previa front rotors (BBP -10" diameter)

B body 8 3/4 rear w/ 3.55 suregrip

Weld wheels (not sure on Draglite or Prostar yet)- For now black 15" steelies

383 or 440 which ever I can find local for a decent price- already have a BB 727 left over from my 68 Charger

It's on stands right now and have the new master installed, as well as the front spindles stripped waiting for the new hubs/ caliper brackets

just last night I somehow got the energy to rip the cracked windshield out - and am glad I did found the passenger lower corner under the windshield gasket rotted out SO after I get the brakes installed the dash is coming out and the whole area is getting restored already priced $700 or so for everything around the dash area including a new windshield installed

ANYWAY this is a budget project so it's not all gonna get done at once- just a couple things at a time (especially since I just spent $700 on the front brakes and still need wheels studs/lugs and the soft lines)

pics..

DEMON.jpg

restoredDemondash.jpg

slant6001.jpg

demonwindshield2.jpg

demonwindshield1.jpg

Cool looking Demon, looking forward to progress.
Thanks! The 6 don't look like that no more though but ya should have the dash out this weekend here as well as the disc brakes done-ish... and just found CHEAP tires for some 15" steelies I have so looks like the front might be on the ground in the next couple weeks!

So a question for you guys... the sticker on the drivers door is peeled up and I am wondering how I can fix it??

I've seen this car many times when it was in Hudson. Always thought it was a good solid project car. Can't wait to see the progress! Good luck zac_F71, it's a cool car!

WELL I had the wrong calipers/ pads for the front BUT all the right parts are now on the way! Should be here tomorrow/ish haha SO the front will be done by the weeks end (minus new wheels/tires but that will come in time)

Next on the list is a B body 8 3/4 rear end that will hopefully be usable at the time of purchase and just swap the fluids, rebuild the brakes, and have the spring perches re-welded to the A body width...

ok guys got a few questions - I picked up a 68 8 3/4 housing out of a Road Runner can I leave the spring perches at 44" or should I have them done to 43" like the A bodies are? This rear housing was flipped at one point cause the bolt for the brake line is on the pass. side facing the ground (supposed to be driver side facing the body duh)

Also could I get B body axles and have them cut and resplined to work with the A body brakes? (A body backing plates have a deeper offset than B body ones) SO I'm wondering if I use the A body backing plates and custom axles I won't have the wheels/ tires sticking out of the wheel well - I'm wanting to fit a 15x8" or 9" wide w/ 5.5" BS on the car with a 275/60 DR

EDIT now that I think about it the housing I have will have to be drilled on the driverside for the brake line hold down bolt... so that along with re welding the perches to 43" has to be done

bringing this back up - decided I don't want the car on jackstands anymore (wanna drive it!)

SO here is what's going on- inspected the 7.25 rear I have that I bought off Ebay for $150 - it was rebuilt at one point and not many miles on it since cause there was still marking compound on the ring gear... resealed that and got the brake lines mounted up

Purchased all new 10"x2.5" rear bakes parts (except shoes- they're still good)

Put as much of the 225 back together- removed the intake/exhaust mani studs

The rear axle is ready to go in the car, had to buy new U bolts cause I sold them to a member LOL

Hopefully the brake balance will be ok with 10" disc's and 10" drums lol

went halfs on a 70k mile 64 225 slant motor/3 speed trans for the carb/intake/exhaust so that will be here this weekend!

Just need- plug wires, 3' of 5/16" fuel line and a filter, exhaust tubing to make a decent single "cat- back" exhaust, install the leaf spring shackles, a set of 14" wheels, and finish restoring the interior so a windshield can be installed

pics up tonight!

Picked up a carb/intake/exhaust mani, and a exhaust pipe that goes under the car (all that for $25 LOL), 2 Dayton 225/70/14 tires, and trading my 70 hood for a set of 14" Rallye wheels here

Need to get new studs for the intake setup (original one's were well stripped and leaking) and that can be gone thru and bolted up! gotta get some zinc additive for the oil and plug wires and fire it up!

Well got my brake parts and U bolts- as well as new Demon carb studs- WELL the guy sent me 3" U bolts (ordered and need 2.5") and Summit sent me studs I can't use as there website info is wrong (ordered 1.700" carb studs and got 1.500" one's with the same part number) so my Saturday is pretty much ruined...

Good to see you are making progress! we need more picures tho! ;)
I will get some here when work starts the lighting in my garage is horrible at night..

Plus my 2nd 5/16-18 tap broke in the head while chasing the threads SO I bit the bullet and ordered my own tap extractor since this is the only tap I seem to break LOL

Well some things have changed in the past few months, got a good full time job, parting out my 83 Mustang (going to be Mopar or no car from now on!), getting a running 400 big block motor on the 10th (3/10) - Trying to sell a ton of stuff to fund this build at the moment..

Debating on keeping the 10" disc brakes I built for the car.. found some pics and have picked up a few things thanks to the new job and no real bills.. not pictured that I also picked up is Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks

Mopar Performance SS leaf springs, AFCO U bolts, ARP U bolt nuts, Mopar axle perches, and AFCO 1" lowering blocks
SSspringsandUbolts_zps057d99bd.jpg

Mopar Performance offset hangers/shackles, and MP adjustable pinion snubber
MPhangers_zps92debed2.jpg

8 3/4 3rd member bought from a local FABO member
323875_zps9b90b864.jpg

And a bonus I found a pic from 2008 of my Demon w/ the vintage cheater slicks I have... Looks an awful lot like a vintage race car
Demonvintageracecar_zps170ef2bb.jpg

To get you a copy of the vin tag for your drivers door, you'll need to make a copy of the fender tag and send it to ECS Automotive and he'll get you fixed up

Looks like a good project you've got going there.
I can't wait to see it all come together!

my day would make you cry i sold my surper 225 and 3 on the tree trans for 200.00
ran kike a dream your car looks awsome for sitting in wisc, the frame was rotted out of this cuda, but going in a barn find 64 signet he got an awsome deal and i get more motor build $ wish you had mentioned something to me when you responded about the pistons gl with her nice looking ride i have you 7/1/4 rearend sitting under it yet if things dont work out im in madison wisc, weve got a cornett 8/3/4 rear with 3:91 gears for sale also 850.00 takes it u pay the ride or pick up

my day would make you cry i sold my surper 225 and 3 on the tree trans for 200.00
ran kike a dream your car looks awsome for sitting in wisc, the frame was rotted out of this cuda, but going in a barn find 64 signet he got an awsome deal and i get more motor build $ wish you had mentioned something to me when you responded about the pistons gl with her nice looking ride i have you 7/1/4 rearend sitting under it yet if things dont work out im in madison wisc, weve got a cornett 8/3/4 rear with 3:91 gears for sale also 850.00 takes it u pay the ride or pick up
LOL I have no clue what you just said- I have a 68 8 3/4 pictured lol I won't need another one- what are you wondering about a 7 1/4 rear? I have the one in my Demon from a 73 Dart sport - it's not for sale til the 8 3/4 is ready to be swapped in..

a little update! 2 months later I got my MMR order sorted out (sent paypal invoice to wrong address) SO now I have 3" shock plates, B body 8 3/4 prebent brake lines, magnetic fill plug, 3 main gaskets, and a 20pc housing nut set all coming this week

-
Back