Zerk Not Threading

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After all the assembly, the last thing is to grease the joints. Tried installing the zerk fitting into the bottom of the lower balljoint and it will not thread. I had a couple of others, so tried them also without success. The balljoint threads look ok, but what gives?

Is this just one out of the lot? If so inspect the threads carefully on the ball joint, with a magnifying glass and a good light if necessary, there could be a simple imperfection on the starter thread that won't allow it to start. That is where I would start, other than making sure I had the correct size.

Is this just one out of the lot? If so inspect the threads carefully on the ball joint, with a magnifying glass and a good light if necessary, there could be a simple imperfection on the starter thread that won't allow it to start. That is where I would start, other than making sure I had the correct size.
I had two balljoints, and one did not have the zerk already installed. I will probably need to get a tap and chase the threads. That's the only thing I can think of. In all the suspension work I've done never had this issue before.

There is a zerk wrench, with a tap built in.

I was gonna say-

Frequently, the holes in the suspension parts are not tapped.

I've always found it odd that they assume a tiny fitting will self-tap into a hardened or iron part.

Most times they do, some at odd angles, and some with excessive force.

I was gonna say-

I've always found it odd that they assume a tiny fitting will self-tap into a hardened or iron part.

Regular zerks are not going to thread well. There are self tappers or use drive in type.

I've found that starting them at an obtuse angle actually helps them start threading (for the unthreaded holes). Most times they will eventually come close to having the flat on the bottom of the fitting parallel to the flat on the surface where the hole is.

In these new chinesium parts you might do just as well to plug it with bubble gum. As long as its pre greased, the grease in it will likely outlast the part. LOL (disclaimer: this post for entertainment only - I would still want the fitting in there) :D

I just pulled and cleaned up an old one. I think it was bolted on and never used, it had the hole but no threads or grease fitting. Cleaned, flushed and put a good old fitting it with some fresh grease. Seems fine for now anyway lol

20210703_113023.jpg

I was gonna say-

Apparently there was a burr in the entrance to the existing threads, so I started a bolt with similar threads to get the burr out (did not have a tap that small). That was enough to get the fitting in and problem over. Odd problem for sure.

-
Back