Taillight Assembly Repairs - Broken Tabs

By Divenut, Mar 19, 2018 | |
  1. Divenut
    Hey Folks,

    Thought I'd share the following showing our low-buck fix for damaged taillight housings and missing mounting tabs. Being on a tight budget (the twins are starting college in 1.5 years! :( ), buying new/replacement housings was not an option. So here goes it!

    Supplies Used:
    POR 15 Epoxy Putty
    JB Weld - Quick Set type
    Dremel tool with small router bits
    Spray Paint for Housing
    "Chrome" spray paint for interior
    Gasket/Seal Kit - I used Detroit Muscle Technologies (a FABO vendor)
    Painter's Tape
    Heat Gun

    We started by removing the assemblies and scraping off the old, dried out seals. A little heat and a scraper did the trick.

    Before:
    20180225_140837_resized.jpg 20180225_143124_resized.jpg 20180225_144956_resized.jpg 20180225_145346_resized.jpg
    The old seals weren't actually sealing anything!

    20180225_144349_resized.jpg 20180225_144356_resized.jpg Housing before.jpg
    One of the housings was somehow melted/warped? Note the melted/misshaped housing on right side.

    20180225_144759_resized.jpg 20180310_095442_resized.jpg Housing After.jpg

    But a little time with my heat gun and putty knife got it pretty close enough for my purposes. Heated the melted housing with a heat gun and pushed out with spoon to shape. Not perfect but good enough for my Hooptie!


    20180310_101820_resized_1.jpg 20180310_101828_resized.jpg 20180310_102135_resized.jpg
    20180310_090620_resized.jpg
    Used POR15 Epoxy Puddy and JB Weld to form new tabs. It took several sessions to build up and rough shape the tabs. Each time I shaped the tabs using a Dremel Tool with router bits once the epoxy was fully cured. I could've ground/sanded the finish smoother but just wasn't that concerned about it for our application. Note: I heated up the POR15 Putty prior to mixing with made it much more malleable and easier to form/press into shape.

    20180312_210401_resized.jpg 20180312_210413_resized.jpg 20180312_213644_resized.jpg 20180312_214013_resized.jpg
    Once the tabs were close enough for me I drilled the pilot holes and opened them up with the router bit.

    20180314_221547.jpg 20180316_221829_resized.jpg 20180316_221848_resized.jpg 20180316_221903_resized.jpg 20180316_223201_resized.jpg
    Last step was to paint the assemblies. The girls and I opted for Semi-Gloss black to tie then in with the black Go-Wing and future black striping kit. We hit the inside of the housings with rattle can "Chrome" and it really brightened them up. Should definitely throw a bit more light than before.

    Overall, pretty pleased with the finished, low-buck, results.

    Before
    TL B4.jpg

    After

    20180318_101645_resized.jpg 20180318_175203_resized.jpg TL After.jpg

    Next we attack the rust repair and body work!

    Hope someone can benefit from this stuff!

    Be well,
    Pat

    Share This Article

    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.