12:05 Garage- ’70 Duster build

More than a decade ago I looked into having spindles made to my specs......when I was told a minimum order of 100,000 spindles / units were required, I decided to make the Mustang II work best I could. Until Tim informed me otherwise a few weeks ago I was under the impression the 1" extended (ball joint) was the max. I immediately ordered a set of plus 1.5" and plus 2.0" just to play with. The extended studs on both (1.5 and 2.0) are incredibly beefy and I look forward to installing them in my Duster in the coming weeks.

The 1" extended is a standard component with a HDK package.....maybe soon to be the 1.5" or 2".

I would have guessed a custom spindle would be really expensive. So it was never an option I looked at.

But I have been toying with the idea of a fabricated spindle that uses a bolt in cartridge style wheel bearing and hub from a late model Challenger. In the end it has been discouraging because the bolt pattern on the aftermarket replacements have been 115mm and I am unwilling to run my 114.3mm wheels on them. I have measured earlier wheels and am convinced at least originally the pattern was 114.3mm but no idea if they changed it or if the aftermarket just uses the published number. I’ve been trying to get ahold of an OEM one to measure but no luck so far.

I started down that road partly because I want to feed an ABS module using wheel speed sensors so the G3 PCM has a speed input and cruise control can be made to work. Which is why I was so focused on the Challenger part. But it looks like the assembly Tim is using has an option for a tone ring, so it might make more sensor to build my spindle around that hub instead.