‘69 Bumper Jack

-

JoeSBP

RLTW!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gents, looking for a little guidance with the correct mounting of my ‘69 Valiant’s bumper jack.
So from searching the forum, my understanding is the tire iron goes through the welded “U” on the floor pan, with the lug end nesting in the bracket just forward of the passenger taillight. The tire iron routes over the flat thin strap welded across the bracket, and locks into the “V” at the rear. The jack post top rests on the forward/elevated bracket, with the post bottom seated into the lower/rear bracket on top of the tire iron. The post/jack mechanism are oriented so the lifting face is down, and the jack handle would face up. The jack retention spring hooks onto the jack mechanism, and onto the tire iron, on the rear side of the welded floor pan “U”. Cranking the jack up, places tension on the spring, driving the jack post down keeping it seated in the lower bracket, and firmly against the upper bracket. This also forces the tire iron up against the “U” resulting in secure rattle-free storage..

The info I’m looking for is what exact spot on the jack mechanism the retention spring connects to, and exactly how the bottom of the jack post seats/locks into the lower bracket with the tire iron in place..
49 years of hauling hat boxes, suitcases, tennis rackets, and typewriters has left the lower rear bracket, thin cross strap, and “V” notch on my car damaged and it all needs to be masssaged back to it's former glory. Thanks in advance

Here is how I did my 68.
IMG_1509.JPG

Yes ^^^^^^^

This is the correct way. Felt anti rattle Pad up high in the holder. It chinches down tight with no rattle! My Barracuda is a tad different jack but the hold down is the same.

IMGP1978.JPG

Last edited:
Another thing is hope you just want it for original looks, I for one will never use it. I will walk home first and bring back a floor jack before I would hook it to my bumper. Funny to spend the time to clean it and mount it correctly to never want to use it.

Last edited:
I’ve got the felt pad in place, just need to see close up where the lug tire iron and jack post bottom nest into the bracket

Your Valiant should be just like my Barracuda at the floor pan. Put the tire iron in first then the jack on top. Then jack up to tighten in place.

Last edited:
Inside the lower bracket, mine has a thin cross strap welded in that’s tweaked. Do you have a pic close without the post/tire iron in place?

Car is still in the trailer for the x-mas light season. I do not remember a strap inside the bracket. If there is one inside that bracket then it is just filler for a tighter fit.

-
Back