“Keeping the Dream Alive”; Making a 2,100-mile road trip in an old Mopar.

-

Demon 408

Reaction score
The wife and I had the chance to take our 1972 Dodge Demon on a long road trip. We traveled 2,100 miles in two weeks, stayed at nine hotels, and visited 12 cities, 7 Pubs, and 5 Ice Cream parlors. We were on the road for 10 days and we took a 5-day break to visit family and friends. The first leg of the trip took 3 days traveling from Virginia to Michigan with overnight stops in Beckley West Virginia and Columbus Ohio. We drove a mix of interstate and two-lane roads and crossed the Appalachians mountain range. The last leg of the trip included 4 days driving the Michigan “Old US-27 Motor Tour” and “Splitting the Mitten” on M-66, and then a 3 day return trip back to Virginia. The weather cooperated with only a few small rain showers in West Virginia and temperatures in the mid to high 80’s. We had a great time, met many old friends, and made a few more along the way.

The Demon (the wife calls the car “Jessica”) performed very well and averaged just over 15 mpg for the trip. The Demon is a bare bones muscle car, the engine is a bored and stroked small block Mopar (408 ci) with a 4-speed and 3:55 rear gears. No air conditioning, manual disc/drum brakes, manual steering, and one simple side view mirror for the driver.

The phrase “keeping the dream alive” is not mine, but was a quote from a fellow car guy at our last gas stop in Charlottesville Virginia on our way back home. He stopped just to look at the Demon and told me about his old car, something that happened to us at every gas stop. As he was leaving he shook my hand and said, “Thanks for keeping the dream alive”.

Here's a a few pictures from our trip.

Everything is packed and the wifee is ready to roll.

View attachment 2.jpg

West bound on Interstate 64

View attachment 3.jpg

View attachment 4.jpg

In the mountains of West Virginia

View attachment 5.jpg

Demon has plenty of room for all of our luggage.

View attachment 6.jpg

View attachment 7.jpg

Leaving hotel in Columbus Ohio

View attachment 8.jpg

View attachment 9.jpg

Gas stop in Dundee Michigan, talking with another car guy.

View attachment 10.jpg

Hanging out with friends and drinking a few cold ones at my brother's place in Jackson Michigan.

View attachment 11.jpg

View attachment 12.jpg

On our way to the Old 27 tour. My brother's 71 Camaro, our 72 Demon, and a friend's 57 Chevy and another friend's 57 Plymouth

View attachment 13.jpg

We joined the tour at St Johns Michigan

View attachment 14.jpg

Wifee waving the flag in Alma Michigan

View attachment 15.jpg

One of many ice cream breaks.

View attachment 17.jpg

View attachment 18.jpg

View attachment 19.jpg

Posing with the big *** trout in Kalkaska Michigan

View attachment 20.jpg

Splittin' the Mitten on Michigan Route 66

View attachment 21.jpg

In Greenville Michigan for one of our brew pub breaks

View attachment 23.jpg

very cool!!

where is the photo of the wife driving??

That is a great story Lawrence

That's really neato. Thanks for sharing.

My wife wants to take a cross-country trip in the Duster once the restoration is completed. I was hoping to have it done and ready for the trip by her 50th birthday next year. I'm not sure if I'm going to get her done but I'm still striving for that goal.
Glad to see that you and your wife were able to head out on the highway. Thanks for sharing your experience.

THUMBS UP!!!! They were meant to be driven.....

Beautiful car and looks to have been a beautiful trip! I hope one day to make a similar trip with my family! 8)

Nothing like a good road trip. Especially in a vintage vehicle. This is a picture of my 68 D100 in Colorado on my way home from Seattle. I bought it out there when I was visiting my folks and drive it home to Delaware. I had no speedo or odometer and the fuel gauge was not working so I have no idea how far I drove but managed to not run out of fuel. Only break down was when the points closed up and needed to be capped. Fun trip.

Attachments

• 20130802_121605.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 385
These are the stories I like to read. Glad you had a good time.

That's awesome, nothing better than driving the wheels off them. Congrats. Nwdart

Sweet car, you also have a beautiful wife.....thanks for sharing :glasses7:

That's great!
Having just done a similar road trip, I'll see about posting up some pics also.
C

I remember reading about a early abody driving across the country back around 2006. It was like green and black and the guy kept a very detailed account of the trip. At the time I was only 16 and that got me fired up to do something like that in my dart and now I'm going with the typical excuse of no time or money. Glad to see someone is living out their dreams at least!

Awesome! Couple years ago the wife, kid and I did a 400 mile overnight round trip with Car Craft group up the coast. One of my best memories in the old Dart with the family riding shotgun.

Very cool.

If you are ever near the south side of Chicago, we have a very nice old ice cream parlor here that makes their own ice cream by hand. People come from all around to eat it. It started back in the 1930's and has that old style charm.

On a good summer night, there will be a crowd out the door waiting to get their ice cream. People like to cruise their fancy cars up there to get an ice cream. One time, I saw 4 Lambo's out there. Last night there was a nice old mustang. Their single scoops are bigger than some places doubles...

During Christmas time, they have an egg nog flavor that is delicious.

http://www.theplushhorse.com/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1985-01-23/news/8501050344_1_ice-cream-parlor-john-harms

Hanging out with friends and drinking a few cold ones at my brother's place in Jackson Michigan.

That's your brother in the pic? Why does he look familiar? Hmm... too bad I didn't know you were coming,, I'd have bought you a beer!! I'm about 15 minutes outside of Jackson.

I just traveled that road (W. VA Turnpike) a couple of weeks ago on my way down to North Kakalaky.

That's your brother in the pic? Why does he look familiar? Hmm... too bad I didn't know you were coming,, I'd have bought you a beer!! I'm about 15 minutes outside of Jackson.

Thanks for the offer, I would have taken you up on it too! That's not my brother, that's a good friend of mine. We've been friends since 6th grade, and that's a very long time.

-
Back