09 Dodge Caliber elec issue

Electrical and Ignition

1. Backally

Backally FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:25 PM
    Hey, technically it’s a mopar. My daughters got a 09 Dodge Caliber. About 6 months ago replaced alternator, old one was spitting pieces. Recently she told me batt lights coming on intermittently. Battery was marginal so I replaced that. Batt light still comes on intermittently. Reads Batt voltage when light is on. I discovered doing the “key cycle” (key on, off, on,off, on, off) then start the light goes off, voltage normal. Voltage is controlled by pcim from what I’m reading. Any way to check that or anyplace else I should look?

2. Heywodja

Heywodja The Heartbeat Stops Here FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    First place I would check is for proper grounding... no corroded terminals, battery to body, engine to body.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      10:25 AM
      I'd also suspect the "new" ("rebuilt?") alternator. Maybe one of the brushes is not making good contact, dirty, broke, whatever. and I'm with ^^ check connections carefully

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Backally

Backally FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Game plan is to go over what connections I can get at tomorrow. If there’s enough cable I’m going to put new batt clamps on, they do look a little corroded. And remove/clean grounds. If that doesn’t help I’ll pull the alternator and have it tested. thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.