1/2 cordless impact opinions

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Been looking at cordless impacts to carry in car for emergency tire changes. I can't justify paying the prices they want for DeWalt or Milwaukee. Porter Cable seems to be the cheapest I have found. Any opinions or suggestions?

My recommendation is don't buy cordless. Get a 12V corded one. That way, the battery will not be dead when you need it most.

My Milwaukee has been in use for about 10 years & it is still going strong.

It would remove nuts that my Ingersall-Rand pneumatic impact would not.

My 20v dewalt is compact and will remove a properly torqued wheel nut at 100 foot-lbs.
but electric impacts beat the **** out of the nuts and sockets.
Let it pond on a stuck nut and you will see the filings fall.

My 18v Milwaukee will not make filings, so no need to swear at its results.

Win-win. :)

Been looking at cordless impacts to carry in car for emergency tire changes. I can't justify paying the prices they want for DeWalt or Milwaukee. Porter Cable seems to be the cheapest I have found. Any opinions or suggestions?

We have an inverter in Fred (the 59 Ranchero) so we can use 110v tools and accessories when we want.
It also has USB ports for charging phones and such.
Just a thought.

I'm a big Ryobi user. Big fan of their 18v one + lineup as the batteries fit everything from an impact, to a work light to a pole saw.....but....I have to agree with the above that remembering to keep a battery charged for something in a car would be problematic. The "one time" you go to use it, it'd be dead. Unless you plan on grabbing it on the go occasionally.

Still have to carry a spanner if nuts are too tight or battery goes dead.
Dont mis interpret this comment, i use cordless impacts daily. And torque every wheel nut by hand.

I sold DeWalt for years with very few issues.

Everything I have is M18 milwaukee. I have a dozen or more of their cordless tools and love them all. Both the 1/2" and 3/8 impacts are awesome. I rarely use my air tools anymore.
Btw, these lithium batteries last forever on a charge.

We have an inverter in Fred (the 59 Ranchero) so we can use 110v tools and accessories when we want.
It also has USB ports for charging phones and such.
Just a thought.

Smart boy.

My next drill/impact purchase will be a Ridgid, free lifetime batteries and service agreement. 2 drill set is like $200.
Remember stock torque is only around 65 lb/ft.

I just bought a second generation Milwaukee last week, 1400 ft lbs of torque.
I have used it once to change the trailer tires on my camper, I am very impressed with the power it has.
I have been wanting one for a while, almost all the repairs I do is at the house, so I have plenty of air.
But a blow out, on a camping trip, changed my mind, it really sucked changing a tire with an old school tire iron, in a gravel parking lot, I am too old for that crap.

When i go places i take a $10 HF breaker bar. 20v Dewalt 1/4" impact with 1/2 adapter and socket. 1.5T AL jack, and a small satchel of assorted tools ;-)

good Lion batteries typically last a very long time.

My next drill/impact purchase will be a Ridgid, free lifetime batteries and service agreement. 2 drill set is like $200.
Remember stock torque is only around 65 lb/ft.
I thought that battery replacement deal expired? Got a recent link>? Breaking those bad boys seems a helluva lot more than 65 ft/lbs. My little 1/4 DeWalt impact will take on most any bolt on a motor...have not tried a head bolt yet, but it worked on a main bolt.

$10 25" HF 1/2 breaker bar, that's in the "HF tools that dont suck" category!
67933_W3.jpg

My Ridged will easily remove 110 FT lb nuts off. I was skeptical , but it really performs...

Here is link from Canada website. May be different than US?? Different combo kits available.
Scroll way down to bottom. I dont have this kit but my buddy does and the impact works great.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ri...nd-impact-driver-combo-kit-2-tool-/1001072142
I thought that battery replacement deal expired? Got a recent link>? Breaking those bad boys seems a helluva lot more than 65 ft/lbs. My little 1/4 DeWalt impact will take on most any bolt on a motor...have not tried a head bolt yet, but it worked on a main bolt.

$10 25" HF 1/2 breaker bar, that's in the "HF tools that dont suck" category!
View attachment 1715374754

i got my ridgid kit like yours at thanksgiving at home depot but it was 199 w/4ah batts. i signed up tool kit and got lifetime on all of kit. i have a lowes kobalt 1/2 impact with 2 4ah batts, but it is top heavy but works like a charm.

I’ve got 2 Snap-on and 2 Dewalt
The Snap-on are over $700 I’m done.
A 100 or something they rebuild them.
The Snap-on has around 450-500lb of torque. the Dewalt will snap 1/2” bolts rated around 1,000lb torque. It’s a brute and noisy. I paid around $500
there both heavy. I prefer air my ingersol rand ti case impacts are amazingly durable and powerful.
The cordless is just so much more convenient.

i just looked at home depot and the one close to me does not stock it but the 1/2 4 speed one, item number r86011sb(home depots number) is only 149.00 w/4ah batt and charger. it has 485 forward and 620 backing up. on way to get it coming now. be a week getting it though.

After seeing the abuse Milwaukee put up with at work, I'm a Milwaukee man for life.
The fact that I can buy genuine parts for a twenty year old hammer drill is impressive too.
If you're wanting it for emergencies, that's probably NOT the time to shop on price.

i waited for years before i pulled the trigger on a cordless impact. wish i bought it years ago.. i got this one with a battery and charger for 269 on sale somewhere at the time (early last year).. the maintenance dept at work uses the same one and its a beast... i have all Milwaukee cordless tools so it worked out nicely. next up is the battery ratchet and a 3/8 impact.. Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1/2 in. Cordless Brushless High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring 18 v - Ace Hardware
That is the same one I bought, it is a beast.
It laughs at lug nuts.

-
Back