1/4 glass installation on 68 Dart

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
I downloaded the 67 and 69 service manuals and read over the installation instructions. Both years show the same instructions. The manual mentions removing the spring clips from the regulator roller studs. It also says to "Remove regulator arm studs for rollers."

I take that as meaning the studs that the rollers mount to are removeable from the mechanism itself. On my 68, the roller studs are permanantly attached to the mechanism. I can take the plastic rollers off but the studs can't be removed. Am I reading it wrong or are the 68 mechanisms different? Does anyone have a 68 manual to look at and see if it's worded the same way?

Does anyone have other instructions for installation? I have the mechanism installed as well as the front track and rear stabalizer. I'm wondering how I'm going to get the mechanism rollers installed at the same time as the two rollers on the front track. I took this apart back in 2013 so....help please!

I have the 68 manual at home. I will try and find it this weekend and get you some info

I tried a couple things last night but no luck. I'll work on it again tonight. I'm going to try and put the mechanism all the way down as low as it will go...then put the glass in and see if I can get the rollers engaged. I know I'm making it harder then it has to be. The line workers did it hundreds of times a day in less that 3 minutes.

Finally got them in this morning. The 67/69 service manuals were very little help. Not sure how anyone could get them installed by reading those instructions.

The mechanisms were installed in the 1/4s loosely. I had to completely remove the rear stabalizers or they would get in the way. I installed the glass into the front tracks but then had to unbolt them from the car and have them loose in order to manipulate the glass into a position to be able to get the mechanism pins installed into the rollers. Once the rollers were on the pins I reattached the front tracks, installed the retaining clips on the rollers and installed the rear stabalizers. What a PITA.

Glad you finally got them in. For future reference for anyone here is what I found in the 68 factory service manual
297E8EEA-208E-4F03-8926-D7D40BE1897E.jpeg
42E1C095-98D5-4792-B0B6-D317D8FDA1FE.jpeg
128D9A98-45EE-4C4C-A474-18AB420C271B.jpeg

Thanks. Pretty much the same as the 67 and 69 instructions. They leave a lot to be desired.

A bodyman once told me that there are a lot of "adjustments" that can be made to these cars by just physically moving things around. The front "up-stops" are 1/32" from hitting the glass. They attach to the inner structure which is pretty flexible. I'm thinking about attaching a ratchet strap to both inner structures and pulling them slightly towards the center of the car. That will pull the "up-stops" away from the glass. Things must have moved a little since I took the car apart.

-
Back