10" Drums Aren't Cast All the Same

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Follow up to my other thread: Are Brake Drums a Press Fit?

"Problem" was this: while reassembling the 10" front brakes on the '65 Valiant Signet convertible it appeared the driver's side brake drum (which had separated from the hub when the left-hand lugs were changed over to right-hand lugs) was short of seating on the car by about 1/4". At first, at thought is was just a matter of not being able to push the drum onto the hub all the way. So I cleaned the center hole in the drum with a Dremel tool attachment, but no change. Then I thought the new lugs were preventing the drum from seating all the way. But the shop owner (who sold me the right-hand lugs) took a look at the drum and hub and told me the drum was indeed seating. Then I thought the greased inner bearing was not seating all the way on the spindle, but it was.

Then I noticed the two 10" drums were cast differently in the are of the outside rim. The passenger side drum, which appeared correct when installed, had a canal that would seem to keep contaminants from entering the inner brake parts. The driver side drum is a different design, which when installed, looks like it is not all the way on (and it seems does not "seal" the inner brake parts like the other drum). Well, this is the way I found it and the way it will go back together for now. I did drive the vehicle over 2,000 miles after purchase (mostly highway, not much braking) with the brakes set-up with the mismatched drums.

Most dimensions of the drums are identical: overall "height being 3 1/4", machined surface being 2 3/4", and inside diameter 10". For now, I can't explain the two different castings.

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's just a difference between manufacturers. There's also steel and cast iron version of the drums too. I like to keep them matched so they have the same cooling rate. If one drum is a lot hotter than the other, the brakes can pull the car to one side.

-
Back