10 muscle car-era features that need to come back

-
  1. Unclear whether these were designed to dry the tears of the Ford guy you raced against, or to pat the welling eyes of your chick when you opened up that Humbler and the dames came a-runnin’, but in the 1960s, you could buy factory tissue dispensers for a lot of muscle cars.

funny stuff,a striped down muscle car like the road runner, supper bee, dart, I don't need or want all the crap they stick in cars these days.

Doesn't the new Challenger have a fresh air shaker option for 2014 now, I think I just read it on allpar, I'll try to find the link..

And Chrysler gets the bookends, numbers 1 and 10.
Only Chrysler could make tacky so cool.
A screaming chicken is just a poser.

Consciously absent from the list : Carburetors.

Doesn't the new Challenger have a fresh air shaker option for 2014 now, I think I just read it on allpar, I'll try to find the link..

that was the premise on which the article was written, the return of the “Incredible Quivering Exposed Cold Air Grabber”

I would like to see spoiler mounted to the rear of cars for no other reason then to keep the rear end planted...and not as a pedestal to mount a 3rd brake light on

I want a stripped down, light weight hard top or a coupe with a fastback, muscular sheet metal, late 60s/early 70s proportions, small bumpers no more than 2 doors and a BIG motor... is that asking too much?

Simplicity is a huge part of what makes these cars so wonderful.

Also...how about cars that look right with 15"-16" wheels? I understand the benefit of big brakes that won't fit into smaller wheels but the proportions of cars these days demand 20" wheels and I can't stand it. :p

true duel exhaust!

You're in luck on that one...The current muscle cars all have true dual exhaust. The Mustang and Camaro (IIRC) do have H-pipes but that could be deleted if you wanted...which would be a dumb idea, IMO. The Challenger has no H pipe anyway.

I too wish they would bring back a basic, light weight, no frills, performance car. Hey that's a Road Runner! The all time best article on the RR is right here.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/jack-smith-roadrunner.html

The Yahoo article mentions $10,000 for the horn. Not true. The ROAD RUNNER horn cost $0.47 more than a standard horn to buy and there was a one time $243 tooling charge to move a mounting horn in the bracket. That was it. One of the horn suppliers had it already in their stock as used on military vehicles.

That new shaker hood is fake, its just an engine cover sticking out of a hole in the hood, not any type of cold air intake.

I too wish they would bring back a basic, light weight, no frills, performance car. Hey that's a Road Runner! ...

Bingo!

Sadly, I don't think there is a business model that would support this anymore.

It's almost like the movie theater model where the building is all built around a consession stand...(break even on the tickets, make money on the candy and popcorn); automakers seem to make a car as a "shipping container" for the options and price-justifying goodies.

I too wish they would bring back a basic, light weight, no frills, performance car. Hey that's a Road Runner! The all time best article on the RR is right here.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/jack-smith-roadrunner.html

The Yahoo article mentions $10,000 for the horn. Not true. The ROAD RUNNER horn cost $0.47 more than a standard horn to buy and there was a one time $243 tooling charge to move a mounting horn in the bracket. That was it. One of the horn suppliers had it already in their stock as used on military vehicles.

I'm pretty sure they had to pay Warner Bros. something like $50,000 to use the trademark of the Road Runner cartoon... that's probably what the article was getting at.

Like MRGTX said what I really want is a true modern muscle car that's small, stripped down and inexpensive with a big engine and upgraded chassis/driveline. I can't really understand why no one makes a car like that anymore, except for the freakin' Mustang DUH success story of the 20th century lol

roll up windows.
power windows were invented so when driving alone you could roll down all the windows from the drivers' seat..no air conditioning back in the day.
..now that all cars have air, power windows aren't required.
..whenever i want to operate my car windows i'm outside and the keys are in the house..what a pain!

The sound of horses in gallop out a Cat free exhaust. Show room track packs. When R/T stood for road and track.

Wth would one want manual steering back for?
Only the one-direction racey-peeps would want that when their engines don't provide enough power to win from the other guy.
For that I would say more engine power, but that hardly seems the issue anymore today.

:)

-
Back