10's on $5,000 ?

-
Another vehicle suggestion for a big block swap. 1983-199something Cherokee XJ. Drop the four wheel drive system and use a straight front axle out of two wheel drive mail hack Jeep. Or, maybe even just use a two wheel drive mail hack Jeep. Swap in a truck 8-3/4 and add ladder bars. Light makes Might!

Another vehicle suggestion for a big block swap. 1983-199something Cherokee XJ. Drop the four wheel drive system and use a straight front axle out of two wheel drive mail hack Jeep. Or, maybe even just use a two wheel drive mail hack Jeep. Swap in a truck 8-3/4 and add ladder bars. Light makes Might!

Drop the 4X4? Are you nuts?

I will be watching, but I believe your budget is lacking a few bucks for a safe 11.0 car.

Thanks Rusty, good point! All four wheels pulling with sticky tires would help a whole lot! Those had Dana 44s usually with 4.10s so adding some lunchbox lockers if needed could make it very doable.

I went mid tens with nothing more than ss springs and 29.5x10.5 slicks. Best 60 was 1.42. Stock shocks up front and truck shocks in the rear.

Isn’t the roll bar rule still 11.49?

Two of the three tracks I go to are generally pretty strict about that.

Granted, if you can weld, or have a buddy that can weld, the cost of materials for a roll bar aren’t very expensive.

Granted, if you can weld, or have a buddy that can weld, the cost of materials for a roll bar aren’t very expensive.
yes, 11.49 needs a bar, unless runs that fast from the factory

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do, or the safe thing to do but you don’t have to run a car flat out to know how fast it would go. If this was my challenge I would base everything off my 330 times and 1/8 mile times till I was tuned and ready for my banzai 10.99 pass. The 1/8 mile time on a quarter mile track doesn’t flash up on the score boards

Is a roll bar on the “to do” list?

Mush easier install when you don’t care about appearance.

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do, or the safe thing to do but you don’t have to run a car flat out to know how fast it would go. If this was my challenge I would base everything off my 330 times and 1/8 mile times till I was tuned and ready for my banzai 10.99 pass. The 1/8 mile time on a quarter mile track doesn’t flash up on the score boards
If I get it there, it will get a cage. But not till it goes past 11.50. If I go 10.99, I plan on doing it more than once. Too much work not too... LOL

I like the XJ idea, lightweight, unabody
and i have one you can have for free!
Hole in the 4.0L block, not transmission or drivelines, both axle still in it.................
Hmmmmmmm don't think there is any way of shoeHorning a BB in between the strut towers on one of these.
I think a SB would be a challenge all by itself.

But hay! If RoadKill can shoeHorn a 440 in to a samurai!!! anything is possible.

The idea of having a sacrificial vehicle to put a 440 in is where it's at. That way nothing is in the way, it's just an inconvenience.

The idea of having a sacrificial vehicle to put a 440 in is where it's at. That way nothing is in the way, it's just an inconvenience.
I'm set on a RWD Mopar car that's solid underneath. I'm limited on all my options, so I won't be reconstructing a RWD Neon or anything like that. Uncle Tony's Bottle Rocket is what my dream car for this would be...…

I like the Jeep idea even a early Dakota short box. The Jeep Dana 44 axles shafts have those damn welded on ends so new axles are needed.

A newer short wheelbase panel van may be another option (especially if you want to revive the van idea!) if it weren't so aggravating to swap engines in (It must be the crazy kicking in, but why am I thinking Mid engine B150?) If you can find one, a Rampage/Plymouth Scamp GT is relatively easy to convert to RWD and is going to be the lightest platform you could start with. Heck, you probably could make your goal with one of those with a 383 or a 400 on pump gas with a powerglide.

I like the Jeep idea even a early Dakota short box. The Jeep Dana 44 axles shafts have those damn welded on ends so new axles are needed.
Jeeps are for 4 wheeling. lol I like and agree with the 2wd Dakota idea.

A newer short wheelbase panel van may be another option (especially if you want to revive the van idea!) if it weren't so aggravating to swap engines in (It must be the crazy kicking in, but why am I thinking Mid engine B150?) If you can find one, a Rampage/Plymouth Scamp GT is relatively easy to convert to RWD and is going to be the lightest platform you could start with. Heck, you probably could make your goal with one of those with a 383 or a 400 on pump gas with a powerglide.
LOL...…. doubt I'm up to a converting a FWD to RWD... Van would be tough to push into 10's... a lot of wind resistance :)

-
Back