11 3/4 brakes

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I was just given the caliper adapter and calipers from a B250 van. The adapter is heavy duty (FAT) but the bolt holes seem to be the same as the C bodies, 3 3/4 center to center. The caliper takes a larger pad, about 25% bigger and the piston measures 3" across. I have the Kframe ready to go in so my question is will this work? I have 74 disks on the car now and want to move up to 11 3/4 disks. All I need to do is get the rotors for a C body, 1976 Dodge Monaco is what I'm planning on. If this works it will put a lot of pad on that rotor!

Van/truck and C-Body rotors wont fit any of the other spindles. Wheel bearings are wrong, too big for the E/B/A/F body spindles.

The caliper adapter bolts will work with the 11.75" adapters, though. That's about it.

Sorry.

Van/truck and C-Body rotors wont fit any of the other spindles. Wheel bearings are wrong, too big for the E/B/A/F body spindles.

The caliper adapter bolts will work with the 11.75" adapters, though. That's about it.

Sorry.

iagree.gif

C-body rotors only fit C body spindles. Same with the caliper adaptors. The C body rotor is thicker too, so the calipers won't work on anything else either. And for the next question, C body spindles pretty much only fit C bodies. I do know of ONE guy that runs C body spindles on his Challenger, with C rotors, Viper calipers, A body LCA's, racing ball joints, etc etc. But he pretty much re-engineered his entire front suspension. You probably don't want to do that. Here's the info if you want to though....http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

The 11 3/4" rotors you need are off of B or R bodies. They bolt right on with the proper caliper brackets, don't even have to change the calipers if you get the right caliper brackets.

CHRYSLER CORDOBA (1976 - 1979)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER (1979 - 1981)
CHRYSLER NEWPORT (1979 - 1981)
DODGE CHARGER (1976 - 1978 )
DODGE CORONET (1975 - 1976)
DODGE MAGNUM 1979
DODGE MONACO (1977 - 1978 )
DODGE ST. REGIS (1979 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH FURY (1976 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SALON (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY (1980 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY SALON 1980

Hey now! That was uncalled for. :toothy8:

I know! :wack:

But this forum doesn't have an "I agree" icon! :violent1:

Like this one.
iagree.gif
I had to "borrow" it from another site for demonstration purposes...:D

All fixed now. :thumbup:

Too many for me.
friday.gif

I know! :wack:

But this forum doesn't have an "I agree" icon! :violent1:

Like this one.
iagree.gif
I had to "borrow" it from another site for demonstration purposes...:D

All fixed now. :thumbup:

Too many for me.
friday.gif

:thumbup:

No worries. I wasn't offended.

:poke:

With some simple bearing-collars on the spindles you can mount '73+ C-body rotors without any problems. Minor shimming of the caliper brackets might be needed because of a slight difference in rotor-offset.

I will be doing this changeover pretty soon on my '73 Dart...

20120627-73Dart-CBodyDiscBrakes-IMG_2092.jpg

20120627-73Dart-CBodyDiscBrakes-IMG_2091.jpg

20120627-73Dart-CBodyDiscBrakes-IMG_2094.jpg

The (missing) caliper just clamps down on the pads, but it's also held in place by the pins.
The caliper also holds itself 'square' when it clamps down on the pads and rotor.
The pins in turn keeps everything in place again.

iagree.gif

C-body rotors only fit C body spindles. Same with the caliper adaptors. The C body rotor is thicker too, so the calipers won't work on anything else either. And for the next question, C body spindles pretty much only fit C bodies. I do know of ONE guy that runs C body spindles on his Challenger, with C rotors, Viper calipers, A body LCA's, racing ball joints, etc etc. But he pretty much re-engineered his entire front suspension. You probably don't want to do that. Here's the info if you want to though....http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

The 11 3/4" rotors you need are off of B or R bodies. They bolt right on with the proper caliper brackets, don't even have to change the calipers if you get the right caliper brackets. Here are the bearings, inner and outer are the same for the 11 " and 11 3/4". The problem seems the B250 rotor setup uses a 1.24" thick disk, the 1977 uses a 1" thick disk. It will take a little shimming.

CHRYSLER CORDOBA (1976 - 1979)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER (1979 - 1981)
CHRYSLER NEWPORT (1979 - 1981)
DODGE CHARGER (1976 - 1978 )
DODGE CORONET (1975 - 1976)
DODGE MAGNUM 1979
DODGE MONACO (1977 - 1978 )
DODGE ST. REGIS (1979 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH FURY (1976 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SALON (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY (1980 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY SALON 1980

So a B Body rotor will fit my existing 74 spindle, now I have to see if the caliper bracket and caliper will center on the rotor. Thats what I need to know. If I can get it to work I think it will get more pad on the rotor but it will add weight to the spindle. I'll try to find a 11 3/4 sindle and mock everything up.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!o8E-)D408z1BP0V03,ZcQ~~60_12.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,039
  • $(KGrHqJ,!nQE-)+U3lF4BP0V258NKQ~~60_12 11 inch.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,023
  • $(KGrHqZ,!jYE-cigm2+JBP0Rs0LwNg~~60_12.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,006
So a B Body rotor will fit my existing 74 spindle, now I have to see if the caliper bracket and caliper will center on the rotor.

Yes, the B body 11 3/4" rotor will fit on your '74 spindle.

BUT, the b body 11 3/4" rotor is only 1" wide. The C body rotor is 1.25" wide. So if even if you get those caliper brackets to work and mount those calipers, what's going to happen when the pads wear down and you exceed the intended travel of the pistons?

Minor shimming of the caliper brackets might be needed because of a slight difference in rotor-offset.

It will take more than minor shimming of the caliper brackets, the bolt spacing is NOT the same on the C body brackets. You'll either have to re-drill the bracket or the spindle to make it fit an A/B/E/F/M/J spindle.

You can buy the correct 11 3/4" brackets for $100-$150. They bolt right on, no shims, no spacers, no bearing collars, they use the same calipers you already have. Is it really worth the hassle of shimming the calipers, drilling the brackets, and fabbing all of this up?

I'm not sure if it's worth it, the caliper bracket has the same hole spacing so no drilling there. The quarter inch difference in the rotor thickness is the problem. I don't have much into the project, I have to order the disks yet. I want to see how much of a problem it will be. I have to find caliper brackets yet and will be hitting the junkyards again if this doesn't pan out. I think it's easily do-able, if I can find a easy way around the thickness problem. I do have the old pads and they might be cleaned off and measured for spacers.

the caliper bracket has the same hole spacing so no drilling there.

Really? Not any C body caliper brackets that I've seen. A/B/E/F/M/J caliper bracket bolt spacing is 3.117", C body is 3.505" or 3.797".

scan0004.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Thanks for the drawings, I'm using the 74 A body spindles on the cuda now. I'm gathering parts for a 11 3/4 conversion and had a buddy that was junking a van. This is a winter project for me so I'm just in the scrounging phase. Besides, I have to work on my Pontiac van first. I was a little sidetracked. I hate working on GM!!!

TI'm using the 74 A body spindles on the cuda now.

Same exact dimensions as the '73 E-body caliper.

Where can you get these?

eBay. There isn't always a set on there, but they pop up frequently enough. I've gotten all 4 of my sets that way. Not great if you need to do your conversion this week, but they come up often enough its not an issue. I heard a rumor that these would be repopped in the near future, but haven't seen anything new yet. Or, if you're quick you may be able to pull them from the wrecking yard, I posted the list of cars that came with them stock above already.

Although, for the money its almost more worthwhile to buy AR Engineerings new 11 3/4" wilwood brackets. They're $182, and let you run Wilwood Dynalite calipers on stock 11 3/4" rotors with stock '73 up disk spindles. If they'd had them out when I bought the brackets for all of my cars, I might have done that instead. A little more money because you have to buy the calipers vs the stockers that can re-use the calipers, but the braking would be a ton better too.

It will take more than minor shimming of the caliper brackets, the bolt spacing is NOT the same on the C body brackets. You'll either have to re-drill the bracket or the spindle to make it fit an A/B/E/F/M/J spindle.

I didn't mention in my post that the brackets are from a '78 Dodge Charger I once owned. They fit on the spindles.

You can buy the correct 11 3/4" brackets for $100-$150. They bolt right on, no shims, no spacers, no bearing collars, they use the same calipers you already have. Is it really worth the hassle of shimming the calipers, drilling the brackets, and fabbing all of this up?

Yes, for me it does.
I can't use the same calipers as I have right now, as they are only for 1" wide discs, and they have become worn and rusty inside. Same for the current discs.
I have new 11.75" C-rotors on the shelf already, along with the used brackets. Just needed to the buy 2 new calipers and fab up the 2 spindle-collars for the larger outer bearings on the '73 C-rotors. As for the 4 shims, I can't see that as 'hassle'.

I do agree that I would very much like to have a lighter braking-system upfront with Wilwood calipers and such. But at the moment this didn't outweigh the costs for the stuff I already have laying around.

I didn't mention in my post that the brackets are from a '78 Dodge Charger I once owned. They fit on the spindles.

Yes, those brackets would fit. But they're not off a C body either. '78 Charger is a B body.

So, I don't see those brackets working with your C body 11 3/4 x 1.25" rotors. But they'll work fine with a set of B/R body 11 3/4" rotors, which will bolt right onto your '73 up A body spindles. Just get a new set of rotors, use '73+ A/B/E/F/M/J/R spindles and calipers.

In fact, the entire spindle/bracket/rotor/caliper set up off of that '78 Charger should bolt right on as an 11 3/4" swap if you have the rest of the parts.

C-body/truck caliper brackets WILL NOT bolt up to A/B/E/F/M/J/R spindles.

Any of you guys needing the taller "pin type" caliper mounts for the 11 3/4 inch rotors, i came across this pair from a 77 Cordoba, this morning. (8.18.12)
Send me a PM message.

Attachments

• Breathers & Pin Type Mounts 007 (Small).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 961
So I finished the disc-upgrade on my '73 Dart yesterday;

'73 A-body Disc-spindles
'77 B-body Caliper brackets
'73 C-body Calipers, 11.75" rotors and brakehoses
Misc. items used: Four ±0.039" washers and 2 outerbearing spindle collars.

Pics of the setup someone above 'couldn't see working'... ;)

20120826-73Dart-DiscBrakeUpgrade-IMG_2219.jpg

20120826-73Dart-DiscBrakeUpgrade-IMG_2223.jpg

I do need to change the stock MC for one with a larger diameter as the brakepedal-travel is fairly large now.
But that's because the stock '73 front brakecalipers have a 2.597" piston-diameter, and the '73 Chrysler caliper has a 2.752" piston-diameter. More fluid to move.

Hey, so, you have a thicker rotor than the b body? You have a larger caliper than b body?
Sounds like you have better fade resistance.

Those are some big old brakes. I'm sure they will stop your car and a 10,000 pound trailer. Only bad thing is they look heavy heavy heavy.:D

-
Back