Reaction score
New
So I am no electrical brain child.

I have 110 volts 15 amp wall socket.
I have a universal 110vac/dc motor.
60/50 hz
Full load of 1.1 amps.

Now the confusion.

I want to run this motor from my wall socket. I am not very smart with electrical but I can hook up wires. Can I just hook the wires up and plug it in? Or do I need a resistor? Or transformer?
Dont want to burn this motor out.
Any electrical smart pants out there?
Cheapest way is best for me ;-)

What kind of motor is it? Used for what? If it is universal you will be ok. If it is 110dc you will need a rectifier. You may have to switch leads depending on what direction you want it to run. Another question, how many wires does it have. 2,3,4. Does the motor have a on/off switch. You may want to add one if not.

Last edited:
Hooking it to a drum switch to get forward/reverse
4 wires

I was confused on the amps.
But I figured out that the motor will only draw 1 amp and I had it in my head that the outlet will dump 15 amps to the motor and fry it. So hooking it up like a standard 110vac plug ...

This is being put on my custom built bead roller
20181115_104612.jpg

The power source does not "dump" amps into the motor. Amps are dependent on what the motor draws. A 15a circuit just means that its capped to 15a by the size of the wiring and limited by the size of the circuit breaker for safety. A 1A motor on a 15A circuit will draw 1A.
Are you sure the motor is AC/DC? Multi voltage motors will have different windings and you have to hook them up according to the voltage you are using. There is usually a data plate on the motor with wiring specifics.

I can't off the top of my head, think of a 115VDC source....

Aren't most DC motors 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 32 etc?

You may want to add a reostat to give it a soft start so it doesn’t start up at high speed. What horsepower is the motor

All older "brush" 110V AC motors such as drills, handheld grinders, vacuum cleaners, sewing machine motors, etc, were known as "universal." They run on either AC or DC.

To reverse them you must separate the commutator connections from the field. This gives you 4 wires, the two sets of which are in series. To reverse the motor, either AC or DC power, you reverse one set in relation to the other set. In other words, leave one end of the field connected, and reverse the two commutator leads in series with the field

A permanent magnet motor would likely only have two leads........the commutator (armature) as the "field" is a magnet

That's a ac motor even states the HZ, easy two wire hook up. Only 2.8 RPM would not sweat a speed controller. Hope it helps.

That's a ac motor even states the HZ, easy two wire hook up. Only 2.8 RPM would not sweat a speed controller. Hope it helps.

I'm not sure that is correct.......AC motors don't have "wound armatures". The way an AC motor reverses is that you reverse the starting windings with respect to the run windings. ALSO NOTICE the two windings are in series..........the hallmark of a "series" AC/DC motor. Also notice the Hz rating. You will rarely if ever find an AC motor rated for that wide Hz change. Usually, they are 50/60 Hz, example.

I'm convinced that is actually an AC/DC motor

Look at the tag, it is reversible easy peasy.

:popcorn:

That's not what I'm saying.........of course it's reversible. What I'm saying, is, that is actually an AC/DC/ universal/ series motor regardless of what the label calls out

When I was 17 years old I dug into a drill, separated the winding leads, and made it reversible by adding a switch. That was around 1967

Four wires come out, 2 are joined and two get power.
I would run that.
No worries. Like the build. You may find it a little slow, but thats ok.
I used a 12v atv winch and geared it down. I like the artistic stand.
I think it will have sufficient power.

My post grinder is clearly labelled dc.
It came with a wall plug.
Noisy and fast. It sounds like a shop vac when its running.
And my 50/60 year old cast aluminum black and decker drill,dc also.
No magic smoke released yet...

-
Back