122T flywheel bolt crank bolt patterns

-

Jkirk

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of the different crank bolt patterns between a /6 and a v8?

Slant has 6 equidistant holes. V8 has 6 w/ 1 offset hole, same as for bigger flywheels with V8 (except hemi that uses 8-bolt).

Correction- Slant has 1 offset hole, V8 has 2. Actually hard to tell with just a glance.

FYI I gave Wilcap the specs for 122 tooth so they could make a billet flywheel. They can do for anyone now, believe they are also supplied via other brands (McCleod?) although they are the mfg. Quality was topnotch, $300-ish 5 years ago. They can also make the slant 6 wheel.

Here's the setup I used, note I had the flywheel drilled for both 9-1/2" & 10" pressure plate bolt patterns.

wilcapflywheeldiscpp_zpsab990f36.jpg

What 10" pattern?

The 9.5" & 10" Borg & Beck pressure plates used on mopars actually have the same bolt pattern. If you compare them they are different in a few ways, most important in the larger friction surface. The 2nd pattern on the flywheel was for a 10" diaphragm used on Fords. Just thought it would be nice to have a 2nd option if the B&B didn't work out since Ford stuff is way more common. The street-type sintered iron disc I used (McCleod) is no longer available, probably because they were pricey with limited sales. It works really slick because the higher friction does not require a plate with high force (i.e. heavy pedal).

If I were to do it over I'd probably try to use a 10.5" bellhousing but there are potential issues with header fitment (I used Dougs). All in all though the setup I used works really well.

flywheel v8 slant or other?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJB8E8fQMNzyBBPKqRUo9n!~~60_12.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 325
Is that the correct pattern for a 122T flywheel 1965 SB 273?

The 9.5" & 10" Borg & Beck pressure plates used on mopars actually have the same bolt pattern. If you compare them they are different in a few ways, most important in the larger friction surface. The 2nd pattern on the flywheel was for a 10" diaphragm used on Fords. Just thought it would be nice to have a 2nd option if the B&B didn't work out since Ford stuff is way more common. The street-type sintered iron disc I used (McCleod) is no longer available, probably because they were pricey with limited sales. It works really slick because the higher friction does not require a plate with high force (i.e. heavy pedal).

If I were to do it over I'd probably try to use a 10.5" bellhousing but there are potential issues with header fitment (I used Dougs). All in all though the setup I used works really well.

The Ford Pattern is interesting. I've wondered what we could use instead of the 10" Borg and Beck Scalloped pressure plate. Did you use a 9.5 Pressure Plate with the street-type sintered iron disc?

Is that the correct pattern for a 122T flywheel 1965 SB 273?

Should be the same. I used a stock 340 flywheel and Bellhousing in an original 64 273 4 speed Barracuda. It all bolted in just fine, with Mods to the clutch linkage.

The Ford Pattern is interesting. I've wondered what we could use instead of the 10" Borg and Beck Scalloped pressure plate. Did you use a 9.5 Pressure Plate with the street-type sintered iron disc?

Yeah, used a reworked 9.5" B&B PP. I have a 10" B&B for comparison but I prefer the 9.5" as it looks more rugged. Clearances on the 10" B&B are so tight that they have to undercut the mounting holes which looks a bit too wimpy for a HP app. There are potential issues with the Ford setup like finger height & engagement but at the time thought I could make it work. Looked at a lot of options using the original bell housing including hydraulic & multidisc Tilton but just like the simplicity & reliability of the stock mechanical setup. Brewers offers an adapter setup for 10.5" bell housing to early-A which includes a new swivel mount & z-bar but it may not fit w/ headers as the fit is extremely tight.

-
Back