15 minute ICBM Film

-
Locally around Lincoln NE, there were 5 or 6 Atlas sites. When I was younger we were able to get up to the one north of Tecumseh. One of the big blast doors was open. We crawled up to the edge-It was a long way down, pretty scary!

When I was stationed in Wyoming I learned an important lesson. NEVER fire a 357 magnum in a silo tunnel! The ringing in my ears didn't stop for 3 days!!!! treblig

That's a cool video. I worked missile radio at McConnell Air Force Base where the Titan II was based. No was fortunate enough to have a chance to go down an active silo, and go down an inactive silo. Pretty awesome stuff.

In England, I worked Ground Launched Cruise Missile radio maintenance. Here I was driving a Transporter Erector Launcher. I can neither comfirm nor deny the presence of nuclear missiles in the tubes behind pointed at my back!!!

IMG_20181114_220843753.jpg

20180115_153937.jpg
If you are ever down near Tucson the Titan museum is a must see. Its about 1 1/2 hour tour down into the silo with the missile in place.

We had quit a few close to my home town in Colorado. State Farm Insurance leased/bought one and stored documents in it.It was right across the Highway from their Regional Headquarters.

North Dakota has a state museum called Ronald Reagan Missile Site. It's an old MMII LF, (launch facility), and LCF, (launch control facility). Then of course the one I'm very familiar with, Minuteman Missile National Historic Site. An LCF and LF. Register for trips down to capsule. Trips to Delta 09 are on your own. Cool ****! Where can someone be a teenager working on something so serious to our national security. Damn proud of working on them.

-
Back