15x10 on Duster

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I recently just put a B body 8 3/4 in my duster with longer 3in studs. The rear is not shorter it is the same length as the regular b body rear. What will it take back space and so on to get a 28in tire and 15x10 or 16x10 in the car.

depends on which b rear. they came in 3 different lengths depending on year.I put a 66 b rear in my duster and it was 2.5 inches wider than my a rear. 1.25 each side.But with deep dish slots and 295 50s my tires hang out

Attachments

• Picture 852 (Large).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,063
i have an early one also. what back spacing are yours? if i get 15x10 i want them to be pulled in not pushed out like yours

I have a 66 B-body 8 3/4 under my 74 Duster. You will have to drop a plumb bob down from the top of the quarter lip and measure to the inner part of the car where the wheel would hit first (you can use a straightedge for this). This will tell you the maximum width of tire. From there you have to measure the front of the drum surface to the inner part of the car to get the back spacing. Then you can measure from the front of the drum surface to your plumb bob to get the front spacing. The front spacing should be the same as taking your maximum width minus your backspacing number.

From there I came up with a spreadsheet to tell me the %'s between front space and back space. For example 15X10 center line I just looked up have a backspacing of 4.875. That means the front spacking is 5.125. So with an 11 inch tire you will have 5.64" of tire in the front torwards the fender lip and 5.36" of tire towards the innner fender/frame rail. I'm pretty sure this won't fit as it will hit the fender lip.

I went with a 7.5" with 5" of back spacing with a 9.5" tire. It will not hit the fender lip. I could get a bigger tire under there if I had more backspacing and a bigger rim.

I think the only 10" rim I found with a lot of backspace were the Welds. I wanted Centerline polished so I opted for the smaller rim.

I think I had 12 inches of clearance. To get a 10 inch rim you would probably need like 6.5 to 7 inches of back spacing. Then you also have to take into account the tire width. I'm not saying it won't work but there is a lot of measuring that needs to be done.

Good luck!

You might be better off having the rear end narrowed to avoid the problem. You would have a much better wheel selection too. Most shops can do it for 100-200 bucks. You can more than likely cut enough off the axles with a high speed cutter (if the splines are long enough) and not have to buy shorter ones. I narrowed mine so that the outer flange is right against the "U" bolts. I nm running 15x10's with a 5.5 offset. If you already have the wheels you can put them on and see how much you need to move it in. Then just have that much removed on each side.

I have a 15x8 and that with with a 8 1/4 and a 28 in tire 275/60/15 I also have SS springs so I dont believe it will hit My 28 in tire wasnt close to hitting the lip either. I dont understand how 2 more inches would be such a problem when im going to use the same size tire just 2 in wider, even if I need to roll the fenders I will do so. And Most Likely this would be only for Racing rims unless i can find 2 more wheels like mine in 15x10

I have a 15x8 and that with with a 8 1/4 and a 28 in tire 275/60/15 I also have SS springs so I dont believe it will hit My 28 in tire wasnt close to hitting the lip either. I dont understand how 2 more inches would be such a problem when im going to use the same size tire just 2 in wider, even if I need to roll the fenders I will do so. And Most Likely this would be only for Racing rims unless i can find 2 more wheels like mine in 15x10

The plumb bob works well. I thought the tires I was using as a reference would hit the fender lip and it wasn't even close. It was an illusion!

It will be easy to tell how much extra room you will have since you already have a fairly large tire to use as a reference.

Let us know how it works out.

So I got the rear in the car. I put my 15x8 with 275/65/15 and 4.5 backspacing on. The tire sticks out about 1- 1 1/2 in. Im going to go to my 4in backspacing wheels and check again, but with the 4.5 it looks like i can fit a 9 or 10in wheel under there.

Im going thru the same thing you are. Im using 15x8 rims and want to switch to a 15x10 to get more tread on the ground. Not sure what rear I have,im assuming I have a A-Body rear. With the 15x8 rim and 28x11.5 QTP's my tire rubbed the leaf a little so I put on 3/8 or 7/16 wheel spacer and it solved the problem.
I dont want to use the wheel spacers so Im trying to find out what bs I need with the 15x10 rims.
Let me know what you come up with.

-
Back