15x10 steel wheel with 7.25" backspace?

Tires and Wheels (Mopar Hubcaps Too)

1. DrCharles

DrCharles Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:02 AM
    Doesn't anyone make a 15x10 steel wheel (4.5" bolt pattern) with a 7.25" backspace any more?
    I have stock front steelies with 195/70-14 tires that take a dog dish cap.

But my rears don't match the front since they are a widened pair of rally wheels, and are 8" backspace (a bit close on the inside, originally intended for a B-body width housing). Got 'em cheap when I still had the wider 8-3/4 :realcrazy:

So ideally I'd like a stock appearing 15" wheel that will also take dog dish caps. Any place you'd recommend (forget Stockton Wheel unless they have made major changes to service and attitude in the last few years)?

The other option is to replace all four with matching aluminum but that will be expensive, and I'm trying to keep a low profile (at least until I start the engine) :rolleyes:

No caps at the moment because fronts-only would look worse!

DSCF0185.JPG

2. 72bluNblu

72bluNblu FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:02 AM
    15x10’s on a 7.25” rear axle seems like a great recipe for 7.25” destruction. If you hook it’ll be over.

Since 15x10’s don’t really fit on a stock Dart you might want to include the modifications you’ve made to your car so we have an idea about what kind of backspace you’d even need, since you’re probably in custom wheel territory for 15’s. Which is why most guys with a 3” spring relocation and mini-tub (probably what you did?) narrow the rear axle if they run 15” wheels.

Seems to me like you should figure out what rear axle you’re going to run first. Because a 7.25” with wheels that big isn’t a good plan IMO. And since you’ll probably need to either shorten the axle or buy custom wheels, you’ll only want to do this once.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • DrCharles

Local Time:
      I appreciate the input, but please read the post more carefully. I never said it had a 7.25" rear axle!:rolleyes:

Yes. I have a B-body 8-3/4" axle that I had narrowed, with mini-tubs and spring relocation. And I have measured. The 295/50 15" tires are almost rubbing on the inside, and too much clearance on the outside of the tub.

So once again, I want a 15x10 large bolt pattern rim with a 7.25" BACKSPACING...

• Professor Fate

Professor Fate Push the button, Max...

Local Time:
      I thought he was talking 7.25 backspace, not 7.25 rear end- I think the OP needs to clarify a few points, as you mentioned.
      Edit: Okay, you beat me to it. I'm old and I type slow. :)

• 72bluNblu

Local Time:
      Sorry, misread that! Not enough coffee yet I guess.

But yeah, disregarding the bit about the style of axle most of what I said about the wheels still applies. No one makes a 15x10 with a 7.25” backspace off the shelf, and I doubt anyone ever did unless it was custom job. That’s a ton of backspace for a steel wheel. Heck it’s a ton of backspace regardless, even the modern 18x10’s on my car “only” have 7” of backspace.

Wheel Vintiques takes custom orders, but it doesn’t look like they list any of the Chrysler styles on the website. You’d have to call them. And looking at some of their max backspaces, there’s no guarantee the Chrysler wheels would be available with 7.25” of backspace on a 15x10 even if they did take a custom order, since some of their other 15x10” styles max out at 6-7/8”.
      Wheel Vintiques

Seems to me like the rear axle is still too wide for that choice of wheels. The most I see offered off the shelf in a steel wheel is 15x10 with 5.5” of backspace.

• DrCharles

Local Time:
      It used to be a readily available backspacing (maybe not in steelies though), since it's exactly what is needed for a stock A-body rear with minitubs and 3" spring relocation! Guess not enough people are building that combo any more...
      I'd have to look it up on my Moser's worksheet, but I think my housing is pretty much the A-body width now.
      Anyhow I'll check with Wheel Vintiques, thanks.
      The website for The Mopar Dude said that they didn't do custom wheel modifications any more... but I just checked and that appears to have been removed. Unless I'm confusing them with another Mopar-somebody?

• 72bluNblu

Local Time:
      I seriously doubt any wheel manufacturer ever built ANYTHING "off the shelf" specifically for a 3" spring relocated and mini-tubbed Mopar A-body, there aren't enough of them to make it worthwhile. Most of the aftermarket wheels that fit A-bodies with BBP wheels were made for Ford's, which is why the hub bore is usually too small and there isn't quite enough backspacing for the front wheels. Maybe there was something that used to match that backspace, but I'd bet money it was never intended for a Mopar A-body in any form.

It seems to me that the majority of people here that are running 3" spring relocations and mini-tubs with a wide 15" wheel use an axle that has been narrowed so that it's narrower than a stock A-body 8 3/4. Typically 15x10's aren't available with a large positive offset like what you need, at best they're usually 0 offset, like the 15x10's that wheel vintiques sells (5.5" backspace). Pretty much the only way to get more backspacing than that off the shelf is with a 17" or larger wheel. Otherwise it'll be custom.

• 33IMP

33IMP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I have a pair of off-the-shelf centerline autodrags, 15x10 1/2, with 7 1/8 bs. They were 5 on 4", but have been double drilled for 4 1/2 pattern. They were basically a 15x14 back half, with a 15x8 front half, factory assembled. Looong ago
      discontinued!
      The wheels on the car are 15x8.5 centerlines, also originally 5 on 4, now double drilled. 4 7/8 bs.

20200729_184102.jpg

20200729_184031.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • DrCharles

Local Time:
    • DrCharles

Local Time:
      Wheel Vintiques is looking promising:
      Screenshot_Wheel_Vintiques.png

• Like Like x 1
      • DrCharles

Local Time:
        And in another style too. I have to see what those look like, of course.

Screenshot_Wheel_Vintiques2.png

• Like Like x 1
        • 33IMP

33IMP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I had a pair of custom tt2's made for one of my cars with the minimum backspace. (3" on a 15x12). They werent cheap, but really not bad compared to some wheels ive seen, and they were what i wanted. They will do wheels with maximum backspace too, your choice in 1/4" increments, if i remember right.

• diymirage

diymirage HP@idle > hondaHP@redline

Local Time:
          6:02 AM

i love deep dish wheels, i bet those things look killer

• superbirdrag

superbirdrag Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Hey Dr Charles
          Did you get the rims you want ? I need the same rims. I contacted stockton wheel and they can make them but they were out of 10" blanks

• 33IMP

33IMP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          @diymirage, didn't see your post till today.
          Here they are, with Mickey E.T. Street pro 315s, on the left.....

20190604_131421.jpg
          ... and on the car.

20210318_155307.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • 33IMP

33IMP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          • DrCharles

Local Time:
            That's ok, I saw the message :)

No, I have not gotten new wheels yet (and would need to buy 325 tires to go with them)! Doing OK on the street with the 295's for now.

But thanks for the tip on Stockton. I'll check back with them at some point although shipping to Missouri isn't going to be cheap these days.
            I still remember the bad old days and getting really bad service from them, as did many. I know it's much better now, but memories last a long time...

• 1Badcolt

1Badcolt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            6:02 AM
            Coker Tire in TN

• dodgedifferent2

dodgedifferent2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          • DrCharles

Local Time:
            That's what I'm running now (someone else made them) except they have 8" backspacing which works with a B-body rear and minitubs, which is what my car had when I got it.
            I don't have the skills or tools to widen or otherwise modify rims myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.