170 or 225?

-

fireman

Reaction score
is it possible to tell if this is a 170 or 225 from this picture?

9E8E47E9-AF4A-4267-B7DE-9188F2034DD3.jpeg

Most likely a 225 because it has a holley carb. The BBS carbs were used on 170 engines mostly. But on an engine this old who knows.

Brian

At the front of the head on the driver side there's a vertical hose. Measure the length of that hose. If it's roughly three inches, the engine is a 225. If it is about 2 inches that makes it a 170.

It's all about that radiator hose connection from the front of the head to the radiator! Now, if I only had a picture of my own /6 to compare with I could tell you. The 170 has a lower deck.

It's all about that radiator hose connection from the front of the head to the radiator

Not to be a nit-picker, but the hose to measure is the one that goes from the head straight down to the water pump not the radiator.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I’m going to see it tomorrow so I’ll measure that water pump hose

Awesome. Thanks guys. I’m going to see it tomorrow so I’ll measure that water pump hose
The bypass hose You're going to look at is about 1.5" or so if it's a low-deck "G"170, about 3" for the tall-deck "RG"225 & 198. The difference in deck ht. is approx. 1&5/8". From the photo it appears to be a 225, & depending on the vintage, there will be either a "17" or "22" for mid 60's & down, or the actual 170/198/225 on the deck pad next to the alt bracket.............................

Most likely a 225 because it has a holley carb. The BBS carbs were used on 170 engines mostly.

That's a very old myth, and it is not correct. Carter BBS and Holley 1920 carbs were both factory-installed on 170s and 225s in most years between 1962 and 1969 (pre-'62 only BBSs). Moreover, the car in question is roughly half a century old; plenty of time for plenty of carb-swapping.

Best way to tell there is a pad on the block behind and under the alternator that sticks out JUST under the head. There are some stamped numbers on it that will include the engine size.

And I know this is an early car, but the bypass hose thing only denotes short deck (170) or tall deck (198 and 225) so it's possible it's a 198 also if the bypass hose is about 3 or so inches. It would have had to be swapped in of course, but a lot of time has passed since that car was new, so you never know. The pad behind the alternator is the best way, UNLESS you're a contortionist and can bend your way under the intake and exhaust manifolds and get the casting number off the driver's side of the block.

Ok. Went and actually bought the car today. It did in fact have a Holley carb. I know this does not necessarily denote it being a 225. Turns out it is a 225 though. The hose was about 3 inches long and the air filter cover had the “charger 225” sticker on it. Thanks for the help guys! I’ll post pics and the car story on a new thread.

Ok. Went and actually bought the car today. It did in fact have a Holley carb. I know this does not necessarily denote it being a 225. Turns out it is a 225 though. The hose was about 3 inches long and the air filter cover had the “charger 225” sticker on it. Thanks for the help guys! I’ll post pics and the car story on a new thread.

If it were me, I would verify it further with a casting number or the number on the stamped pad. Sounds like it likely is a 225.

A lot of young people will take their cell phone and take a pic of hard to see places. Beats crawling around.

That's a very old myth, and it is not correct. Carter BBS and Holley 1920 carbs were both factory-installed on 170s and 225s in most years between 1962 and 1969 (pre-'62 only BBSs). Moreover, the car in question is roughly half a century old; plenty of time for plenty of carb-swapping.
My 1963 service manual show only holley carbs used on 225s the bbs was used on 170s and 225s the picture shows a holley carb as the fuel line is entering the carb on the left a bbs enters the carb from the front. The car appears to be a 66 and a California emission's because of the air cleaner and the vacuum controls at the right rear of the engine. Anyone with a 66 service manual that can confirm that in 66 They used holleys on 225s? The gentleman asked a simple question with only the picture to go on. And yes I agree that a 53 year old car could have anything under the hood.

My 1963 service manual show only holley carbs used on 225s the bbs was used on 170s and 225s the picture shows a holley carb as the fuel line is entering the carb on the left a bbs enters the carb from the front. The car appears to be a 66 and a California emission's because of the air cleaner and the vacuum controls at the right rear of the engine. Anyone with a 66 service manual that can confirm that in 66 They used holleys on 225s? The gentleman asked a simple question with only the picture to go on. And yes I agree that a 53 year old car could have anything under the hood.

Sounds like yer gittin yer little girl panties all in a wad over nothing. But yes I'll answer it straightly just as you said.

No there is no way to tell from the picture that it's a 170, 198, or 225. Is that straight enough for YOU? Because I believe the OP actually GOT what we were talking about even if YOU did not.

My 1963 service manual show only holley carbs used on 225s the bbs was used on 170s

Don't know what kind of book you're looking in, but your info is wrong for 1963 and pretty much most other years, too. My 1963 Dodge factory service manual, and my 1963 factory parts cattledog, gives specific Carter BBS and Holley 1920 carburetor type numbers for every possible combination of 170 vs. 225, Dart/Valiant (w/rod-type throttle linkage) versus bigger cars (w/cable), automatic/manual trans, regular calibration vs. taxi-fleet.

My 1963 factory books also give info on the one-year-only, 225-only, big-car-only carburetor that was neither a Holley 1920 nor a Carter BBS. If you're looking in a complete factory book, you'll see it too. If not…well…I guess you won't!

Anyone with a 66 service manual that can confirm that in 66 They used holleys on 225s?

They did indeed use Holley 1920s on 225s in 1966. Type numbers 3271 through 3282, inclusive, plus some additional types released to fix problems with some of the original '66 carbs. They also used Carter BBSs (type 4173s for 225 taxi/fleet, type 4183s for 225/stick shift, and type 4184s for 225/automatic).

-
Back