170 to 225 swap (advice needed)

-

JGizmo

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought a 1965 Valiant with a three speed column shift transmission and a 170 slant six. The other day, the engine threw a rod, and I've decided to replace it with a 225. The 225 is out of a 1966 Valiant with an auto transmission. Will I run into any problems attaching the 225 to my old 3 speed transmission? Will I need to reuse any parts off of the 170? Thanks in advance. (I've attached a picture of the carnage below for anyone interested).

slant six thrown rod.jpg

Everything will bolt up from the 170 to the 225.
Check and make sure the crank is drilled for the manual transmission pilot bushing.
1966 should be and may even have the bushing installed already. Other than that,flywheel,bellhousing,and all clutch related parts will work.

A loooooong time ago, I put a 225 in a '63 Valiant wagon. The only problem I remember is I had to use shims to raise engine up a bit to probably (fuzzy memory) let oil pan clear steering linkage. Think it had power steering.

You will need the flywheel and clutch from the 170. As stated you might need to get a pilot bearing to install in the 225 crank.
Only other possible issue would be the exhaust pipe. The 225 engine is taller, so the pipe might not reach up to the manifold.

I gotta ask…
“How did you throw a rod in a /6?”
Syleng1

Everything will bolt up from the 170 to the 225.
Check and make sure the crank is drilled for the manual transmission pilot bushing.
1966 should be and may even have the bushing installed already. Other than that,flywheel,bellhousing,and all clutch related parts will work.
Awesome thanks!

A loooooong time ago, I put a 225 in a '63 Valiant wagon. The only problem I remember is I had to use shims to raise engine up a bit to probably (fuzzy memory) let oil pan clear steering linkage. Think it had power steering.

Could I reuse the oil pan from the 170?

You will need the flywheel and clutch from the 170. As stated you might need to get a pilot bearing to install in the 225 crank.
Only other possible issue would be the exhaust pipe. The 225 engine is taller, so the pipe might not reach up to the manifold.

Thanks for the info!

I gotta ask…
“How did you throw a rod in a /6?”
Syleng1

I had already started hearing a slight knock for a few weeks prior. Then after finishing up replacing the head gasket, I made the stupid mistake of forgetting to reconnect the throttle... Which meant I started the engine at full throttle with almost no oil in the head.

Could I reuse the oil pan from the 170?

Yes, pans are the same, but if the 225 is a 66 engine the pan will be the same. Tip if both oil pans are the same save the pan and oil pump pickup tube the tube is not available new, save both of them for resale. Also check the flywheel fit on the crank, the crank hub changed in 68 and you never know what happen to the engine in the past.

Yes, pans are the same, but if the 225 is a 66 engine the pan will be the same. Tip if both oil pans are the same save the pan and oil pump pickup tube the tube is not available new, save both of them for resale. Also check the flywheel fit on the crank, the crank hub changed in 68 and you never know what happen to the engine in the past.
OReilly shows um for 28 bucks. That's where I've gotten the last three or four of them. Usually takes a day or two.

I had already started hearing a slight knock for a few weeks prior. Then after finishing up replacing the head gasket, I made the stupid mistake of forgetting to reconnect the throttle... Which meant I started the engine at full throttle with almost no oil in the head.

Sorry to hear that. Well- more power is allways a benefit of a motor swap. You will be happy with the results!
Good luck.

The head pipe is about an inch difference between the 225 and the 170. It should hook up if the pipe is anchored down toward the back seat area. It would be even better to source a super 6 spec 2.25" headpipe or have one made. Iirc yours is maybe 1 7/8" stock.

The head pipe is about an inch difference between the 225 and the 170. It should hook up if the pipe is anchored down toward the back seat area. It would be even better to source a super 6 spec 2.25" headpipe or have one made. Iirc yours is maybe 1 7/8" stock.
It's not gonna benefit him unless he does like I did and opens the manifold outlet up to 2.25 or 2.5.

-
Back