170 vs 225 differences

-

Cruisingram

Reaction score
Well, I went and put the 225 I got on the engine stand- but oops, it's not a 225 its a 170. Soon as I got it upright on the engine stand- 3 freeze plugs staring at me.

I got it for basically nothing, was told it was a 225, my bad, didn't positively ID it, got a lot of parts like trans and radiator and all kinds of stuff he didnt' use from his V8 swap, so I am not mad at the guy or anything.

Stupid of me not to really look at it though.

I got a cam ground for a 225 from Oregon cams, a 2bl manifold and have ground out a exhaust manifold off a 170 with the outlet ground out to 2.5.

Any problems here? Can I just slap them in the 170?

Well, I went and put the 225 I got on the engine stand- but oops, it's not a 225 its a 170. Soon as I got it upright on the engine stand- 3 freeze plugs staring at me.

I got it for basically nothing, was told it was a 225, my bad, didn't positively ID it, got a lot of parts like trans and radiator and all kinds of stuff he didnt' use from his V8 swap, so I am not mad at the guy or anything.

Stupid of me not to really look at it though.

I got a cam ground for a 225 from Oregon cams, a 2bl manifold and have ground out a exhaust manifold off a 170 with the outlet ground out to 2.5.

Any problems here? Can I just slap them in the 170?
You cannot identify a 170 vs a 225 by the number of cup plugs with the exception being that no 170’s have 5 cup plugs and some (late)225’s do.
There are 170’s and 225’s with 3 cup plugs.
One way to tell is the length of the bypass water hose that goes from the front bottom of the cylinder head to the water pump. A 170 is shorter than a 225.
The 170 used the same diameter pistons when new, and a shorter stroke.
So it will rev higher easily when compared to a 225.
If you do have a 170 the external parts and cam will fit fine. One question on the cam is it RPM suitable to put the torque and HP in a range where you plan to drive the car.

55 ci differnce,...thay say the 170 turns up quicker,..ol rustyratrod be by when he sees this,..he got a real nice running 170 in his daily driver!! do what he did and im sure youll be happy!!

Oh shoots- I know so little about these darn sixes LOL- okay, lets see, if I can post a couple pics, you tell me.

IMG_20210827_124040055.jpg

IMG_20210827_124057566.jpg

IMG_20210827_124047700.jpg

If you measure the previously mentioned bypass hose, a 225 is about 3" long. A 170 is more like 2" long.

Oh shoots- I know so little about these darn sixes LOL- okay, lets see, if I can post a couple pics, you tell me.

View attachment 1715787751

View attachment 1715787752

View attachment 1715787753

Tall deck. Either a 198 or 225. Learn enough about them to tell the difference. There's a pad sticking out on the block right there behind the alternator bracket. It will have the engine size stamped in a series of numbers and letters. Something kinda like "R225XXX" or some such.

Tall deck. Either a 198 or 225. Learn enough about them to tell the difference. There's a pad sticking out on the block right there behind the alternator bracket. It will have the engine size stamped in a series of numbers and letters. Something kinda like "R225XXX" or some such.

Thanks! Perfect.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the peanut plug head without the spark plug tubes also a later head design?
I don't do a lot of slant six stuff

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the peanut plug head without the spark plug tubes also a later head design?
I don't do a lot of slant six stuff

Yes. I think that change was in 75 I believe. So very likely a 225. Good observation.

My new shop location got put back a couple weeks, I am really raring to go on this, just waiting for my space to open up.

-
Back