18 Spline 10" Clutch Question

-

mopardude62

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm considering pulling the trigger and getting on the Passon A855 list. However, I'm running a 67 Barracuda with a 273, 4-Speed that originally came with the Auburn style 9.5" clutch. I rebuilt the engine and installed a new Borg & Beck style 10" clutch because all I had to change was the pressure plate and the clutch disk.

However, I'm concerned the A855 only comes with a 18-spline input shaft and my current transmission uses 10" clutch disk with the 23-spine shaft. I'm concerned that I will not be able to find a 10" clutch disk with the 18-spline input drive.

If I was using the more popular (and common) 10.5" clutch I'm sure I could easily find a clutch disk that had the 18-spline input drive. However, to use the 10.5" clutch requires me to change the bell housing, pressure plate, release fork and the flywheel.

After forking over almost five grand for the A855 I want to make sure I can find a 10" clutch disk with the 18-spline input drive and not have to spend another thousand dollars "upgrading" my clutch setup to work with the new A855.

I've never seen a 10 in disk for the 18 spline. Call Jamie at Passon and ask him what he recommends. He should be able to put something that will work for you.

I guess my first recommendation would be to go with the larger flywheel, bellhousing and associated items but if you really don't want to do that check with American Powertrain for a clutch. I was at a car show in Houston and a guy had a 64 Dart with a 340 and he had the small bellhousing. He claimed he had converted from a 3spd to 4spd because a friend gave him a tranny from a wrecked Roadrunner. After he was fairly well underway with the project he realized the tranny was 18 spline. He said he hunted all around and finally found a clutch at American Powertrain. I asked him how it was holding up and he said he was having no issues and it didn't take a bionic left leg either!

I have a 23 spline in my car that I bought from Jamie when I got on the list for the A855 he said. no problem when the trans comes in just send him my clutch and he will re spline to 18.

The 18 spline is a Hemi/440 6 Pack transmission. Tough to find a 10" clutch for that tranny.

No problem on answering the question. I drive this car everywhere..... and I mean everywhere in the summer. It is a convertible so I don't get it out in the winter too much but when it warms up, I'm in it every chance it get. It's not my daily driver, but as soon as I get the daily driver parked, I'm in the Barracuda.

Maybe I'm spoiled with my daily driver that gets good mileage, but I sure would like the Barracuda to run with a little less RPM down the highway. I enjoy driving my car and I think this would help me enjoy it a little more.

I know that's probably a lame answer but I'll add to that the fact that my kids are grown (last one a senior in college) and I have given to them.... so now it's time to give to me!!

Ok. I totally understand that. And if you have considered the other options and ended up at the 5 speed, thats a great place to end up.
-I love driving my S-clone too. as soon as the roads permit in spring, I will be back in it again.Happy motoring.

-
Back